Sweden, Västernorrland Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Sweden, Västernorrland Church Records, 1643-1860 .
Title in the Language of the Record
Sverige Västernorrland Lutherske Kyrkoböcker
The collection consists of baptisms, marriages, and burials from the county of Västernorrland. The records are handwritten in narrative style.
The key genealogical facts found in most Lutheran birth or christening or birth (Födde) records are:
- Child’s name
- Christening date
- Sometimes the birth date
- Parents’ names
- Parents’ marital status
- Parents’ residence
- Fathers’ occupation
- Sometimes the mother’s age
- Witnesses and their residences
The key genealogical facts found in most Lutheran marriage (Vigde) records are:
- Groom’s name
- Depending on the time period, the groom’s marital status, residence, and age
- Bride’s name
- Depending on the time period, the bride’s marital status, residence, and age
- Witnesses and their residences
The key genealogical facts found in most Lutheran death or burial (Döde) records are:
- Name of the deceased
- Death date
- Burial date
- Marital status and sometimes the spouse’s name
- Sometimes other biographical notes
The key genealogical facts found in most Lutheran moving records records are:
- Name of person moving
- Former residence
- New residence
- Current residence
- Sometimes marital status
The key genealogical facts found in most Lutheran clerical survey records are:
- Name of each member of the household
- Birth dates
- Deaths within the year
- Marriages within the year
- Moves within the year (including where they moved to or from)
- Marital status
How to Use the Records
For detailed information on using Swedish church records, see the wiki article: Swedish Church Records
Help with the Language
These records are in Swedish so you will need to be able to understand written Swedish. For help with reading the records, please see the following wiki articles:
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the data and images published on FamilySearch.org Historical Records. It may include the author, custodian, publisher, and archive for the original records.
Sweden. Västernorrland Church Records, 1643-1860. National Archives of Sweden (Riksarkivet SVAR), Marieberg, Stockholm.
Information about creating source citations for FamilySearch Historical Collections is listed in the wiki article Help:How to Create Source Citations For FamilySearch Historical Records Collections.
Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information. This will help you or others to find the record again. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records.
A suggested format for keeping track of records that you have searched is found in the Wiki Article: How to Cite FamilySearch Collections.
Examples of Source Citations for a Record in This Collection
- "Sweden, Västernorrland Church Records, 1643-186," digital images, From FamilySearch Internet (www.familysearch.org: 14 March 2012), National Archives of Sweden, Riksarkivet SVAR. FHL microfilm, 3 reels > Lidens församling > C Födelse- och dopböcker > 3, 1843-1860. Lev 121/1964 > Image 60 of 80 images, Nils fodde 1 Julii, 1856; citing "Sweden, Västernorrland Church Records, 1643-1860." FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org) National Archives of Sweden, Riksarkivet SVAR. FHL microfilm, 3 reels. Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.