Sweden Encyclopedias and DictionariesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Back to Sweden►
Encyclopedias may provide information on all branches of knowledge or treat a specific topic comprehensively, usually in articles arranged alphabetically. They often contain articles of great interest for genealogical research—including those about towns and places, prominent people, minorities, and religions. They can also give information about record-keeping practices, laws, customs, commerce, costumes, occupations, and archaic terminology.
The Family History Library has general knowledge encyclopedias in the Swedish language and also Swedish-English and English-Swedish dictionaries. They are listed in the catalog under:
Sweden - Encyclopedias and Dictionaries
Also see Sweden: Language and Languages.
Online Historical Dictionaries
- 1788. Widegren, Gustaf. Svenskt och Engelskt Lexicon, Tryckt hos Johan A. Carlbohm, Stockholm 1788. Available as a PDF for free through Google Books at Svenskt och Engelsk Lexicon
- 1829. Deleen, Carl. Swedish and English Pocket Dictionarey, N.M. Lindh, Örebro 1829. Available as a PDF for free through Google Books at Swedish and English Pocket Dictionary
- 1850-1855. Dalin, Anders Fredrik. Ordbok Öfver svenska språket. Vol I–II., Stockholm 1850–1855
provided by http://www.wisberg.se/wisberg.se/default.htm
- 1872. Öman, V.E. Svensk-Engelsk Hand-Ordbok, Abr. Bohlins Boktryckeri, Örebro 1872. Available as a PDF for free through Google Books at Svensk-Engelsk Hand-Ordbok
- 1889. Björkman, Carl Gustaf. Svensk engelsk ordbok, P.A. Norstedt & Söner, Stockhholm 1889. Available as a PDF for free through Google Books at Svensk engelsk ordbok
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News