Swedish LandskapEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Back to Sweden►
Landskap (often translated as Province) is a geographical area that typically was built upon an earlier political structure. When the Län were created in 1634 every Landskap turned over their civil authority to the respective counties. There are many cultural and geographical characteristics that are unique to each Landskap. The characteristics have been deeply rooted for centuries and many people still identify with them today. They include:
- Place Names
- Spoken Dialects
- Traditional clothing unique to the localities within the Landskap
- Local Traditions (of various types)
- Every Landskap has its own symbol
- It's not uncommon that immigrants referred to their origin in Sweden by the name of their Landskap. For example, Småland, Skåne, or Närke
- The Landskap names are not typically used to organize collections by SVAR, Arkiv Digital, Genline or the Family History Library Catalog.
- Although people identify with the names of the Landskap, generally they are not included when citing sources of an event.
Sveriges Släktforskarförbund Wiki Community., "Landskap". Wiki-Rötter, January 2011. http://www.genealogi.se/wiki/index.php/Landskap
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback