Syleham, Suffolk GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
SYLEHAM is a scattered village on the south side of the river Waveney, which separates it from Norfolk, 3 1/12 miles N. by W. of Stradbroke, and 4 miles S.W. by S. of Harleston. Its parish contains 374 souls, and 1603 acres of fertile and well-wooded land. Here is a good bridge, which crosses the river to Brockdish; and also an extensive water corn mill, the greater part of which was converted into a linen and cotton manufactory, about fifteen years ago. The low marshes, near the river, are now well drained, but were formerly so swampy that the ignis fatui, commonly called Syleham lights, were frequently seen, and often led benighted travellers astray. Miss Taylor is lady of the manor of Syleham Comitis... William White, 1855, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Suffolk, page 399
View picture of Syleham Parish Church
If you live in Suffolk then you will have access to a variety of resources; however, for those who live further afield, one can access microfilm and online records at Family History Centers. Refer to Syleham and Suffolk in the Family History Library Catalog for available records.
Syleham, Suffolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|1813 = Suffolk Marriage Index (1813-37) (FindMyPast) - (£)|
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (FindMyPast) - (£)|
|JOIN = The Joiner Marriage Index - (£)|
|NBI = National Burial Index (FindMyPast) - (£)|
|TGEN = TheGenealogist - (£)|
|Syleham, Suffolk Genealogy Online Records|
The Parish Registers begin in 1539. They can be view at the Suffolk Record Office. A copy of the registers from 1539 to 1900 can be purchased from the Suffolk Record Office. For pre 1813 Bishop Transcript entries you will need to look in Hoxne Deanry, Archdeaconry of Suffolk. Parish Chest records are lacking for Syleham. See Suffolk Church Record for further details.
There are census records available for Syleham from 1841 to 1911. Census records are available on a variety of subscription and other websites. If you need to consult the 1841 to 1891 census on microfilm, refer to Syleham, England, Census in the library catalogue.
There is statistical data available for the census years 1801 to 1931 that records the number of houses, families, people, and other statistical data for every parish in the county.
Refer to the Suffolk Census wiki article for details.
Prior to 1858 the primary court that had jurisdiction over Syleham was the Archdeaconry of Suffolk; however, a person’s will or administration may have been probated in nearby courts or even in London. After 1858 it was in Ipswich District. Refer to the Suffolk Probate Records article for further details.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Suffolk Gazetteers and Directories from 1839 to 1909 - Suffolk Gazetteers and directories provide a brief history and description of each parish and lists principal residents. They mention the farmers and tradesman in each parish and the nearest market towns among other things of interest.
- National Gazetteers provide a brief description of each place
- England Jurisdictions 1851 maps - see parish in context with surrounding parishes also determine various ecclesiastical and civil jurisdictions for this parish
- Syleham on Google maps - see lay of the land as it is today
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- ↑ 'Suffolk Marriage Index (1813-37) Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 9 December 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Suffolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 3 December 2013.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 4 December 2013.
- ↑ 'Parish Records,' TheGenealogist, accessed 26 April 2014.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 292-294. Date accessed: 09 October 2013.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More