Tarleton, Lancashire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Tarleton was formerly a chapel of ease but became an ecclesiastical parish in the county of Lancashire by 1719, formed from the Parish of Croston, Lancashire.
The village's name is sometimes said to be derived from an early Viking settlement known as Jarle's Town. The more likely derivation is from the Norse name Tharaldr, to which tun has been added. The early form is already "Tarleton", ca. 1200 and in the Feet of Fines, 1298. Tarleton is also a civil parish within the West Lancashire District. It is currently within the Parliamentary Constituency of South Ribble. Recently, it has been significantly built up with new housing developments, but it is still a relatively quiet rural village.
Tarleton Old Church is a picturesque building, standing in its large churchyard beside the main road. Built in brick in 1717, the small tower was heightened in stone, with a pretty domed bell-cote above, in 1824, and the porch and vestry were then added at the west end. A fine example of an early Georgian chapel, it retains many original fittings in its simple interior: box pews at the east end, open benches at the west, stone flagged floors, a reading desk and a west gallery that extends along the south wall. The large round-headed windows clearly lit the building.
TARLETON St Mary; 1719, a parish,inthe union of Ormskirk, hundred of Leyland, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 8½ miles north by east from Ormskirk. The parish wasformerly a chapelry in the parish of Croston. The church, consecrated in 1719.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD
Lancashire Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/
Tarleton Holy Trinity and St. Mary parish registers and those registers of all of its smaller chapelries lying within its boundaries have been mostly transcribed and are displayed online at the following web sites and ranges of years:
|TARLETON HOLY TRINITY AND ST MARY PARISH (1719) Indexes|
The Lancashire Record Office at Bow Lane, Preston PR2 1RE, holds the original parish registers in its vast collections. Contact their website for contact information.
The Family History Library has microfilmed the parish registers and Bishop's transcripts of Tarleton Holy Trinity and St. Mary parish for the years 1820-1854. These films are available for ordering/circulating and researching at any one of its satellite FamilySearch Centers worldwide.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 306911.
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above..