Tatenhill, Staffordshire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Tatenhill, Staffordshire family history and genealogy: parish registers, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Tatenhill is an Ancient Parish in the county of Staffordshire. Other places in the parish include: Dunstall, Highlands Park, Needwood, Tatenhill and Callingwood, Needwood Forest Allotments, Rangemore, and Needwood Forest.
TATENHILL (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Burton-upon-Trent, N. division of the hundred of Offlow and of the county of Stafford, 3½ miles (W. S. W.) from Burton-upon-Trent. 
A History of the Parish of Tatenhill in the County of Stafford (1907) has been digitised by Internet Archive - free.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Staffordshire BMD includes registered births for the Burton upon Trent Registration District . http://www.staffordshirebmd.org.uk/cgi/birthind.cgi?county=staffordshire The registration district prior to 1937 included this parish. From 1937 onwards the Lichfield district was responsible. Registers are now held at
The Register Office, The Old Library Building, Bird Street, Lichfield WS 13 6PN Tel. 01543 510773
Tatenhill parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|NBI = National Burial Index (FindMyPast) - (£)|
|PALL = Pallot's Marriage Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|TATENHILL PARISH (1564) Online Records|
|FREG||1563-1613, 1750-1812, 1820-1837||
||1563-1613, 1742-1812|| |
Dunstall chapelry registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|DUNSTALL CHAPELRY (1854) Online Records|
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
- 1532/3 - A List of Families in Tatenhill, Staffordshire Genealogy 1532/3 FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474613.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 303-310. Date accessed: 06 November 2012.
- ↑ 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 11 September 2013.
- ↑ 'Staffordshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 16 September 2013.
- ↑ 'IGI Batch Numbers for Stafford (N-Z), England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 23 September 2013.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 8 September 2013.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ Ann J. Kettle, A List of Families in the Archdeaconry of Stafford, 1532-3 (Stafford: Staffordshire Record Society, 1976). FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8