Taylor, IdahoEdit This Page

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
m (Quick facts)
m (added category)
 
(6 intermediate revisions by 3 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
== Quick Facts  ==
+
On the location where the Taylor School once stood there is a small monument commemorating the founding of Taylor, Idaho. The monument erected by the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers tells the history of the Taylor Settlement as:
  
Taylor Idaho is a small town in Idaho County. It is by the Salmon River and by White Bird; latitude 445.685 and longitude 116.383. Taylor on the U.S. Geological Map it is known as Grave Point elevation 3,166 feet. Towns nearby are Copperville, Slate Creek, Whipsaw saddle, Canfield, Mexican Place.<br>
+
“Six men came to this area from Hooper, utah, to homestead in the early spring of 1885: John, Edward and William Priest, Smith Johnson, and Edwin and Abiah Wadsworth Jr. They each built a log house on their claim before returning to Utah for their families. Leaders of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS), headquartered in Salt Lake, were informed of this small settlement. In 1886 Apostle John W Taylor of the LDS Church was sent to organize the group into a branch, a part of the Bannock Stake with headquarters in Rexburg, Idaho. The decision was made to name the ward in honor of Apostle Taylor. William Priest became the first bishop. The first church meetings wer held in Abiah Wadsworth Jr.’s home.  
  
=== Former name  ===
+
By 1886 a log structure was erected for public use on land donated by John Priest. The first teacher was John Henry Evans, the church recorder. A second multi-purpose structure, a two-room, 30 by 60 foot white frame building was built in the mid 1890s. This building burned during the winter of 1904, taking with it all church and school records. In 1905 a two-room brick building was completed. Church, school and dances were held in the building until a church was constructed in 1915.
  
=== Geographic location  ===
+
To water this arid, sagebrush-covered land, the pioneers had to dig a 10 mile long irrigation canal from Eagle Rock, located to the north. Hay and grain, their first crops, were grown in 1890.
  
=== City Hall ===
+
The beautiful Taylor Cemetery was established in April 1887 when Abiah Wadsworth Jr. and William Arave purchased 5 acres of land for $65 to bury Ellen, the infant daughter of Sarah and Abiah Wadsworth, Jr.”
  
== Resources  ==
+
All of the original buildings (the school, church and general store) are now gone and in place of them is a beautiful park and ball field. The home the general store was attached to is still there, but the store portion has been torn off of the home years ago.
  
=== Biography  ===
+
<br>
  
=== Cemeteries  ===
+
Taylor has since been incorporated into Idaho Falls, Idaho.
  
=== Church History and Records  ===
+
[[Category:Cities of Idaho]]
 
+
==== Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints  ====
+
 
+
==== Episcopal  ====
+
 
+
==== Presbyterian  ====
+
 
+
==== Roman Catholic  ====
+
 
+
=== Directories  ===
+
 
+
The Idaho State Historical Society in Boise has a collection of city, county, regional and state directories.
+
 
+
=== Funeral Homes  ===
+
 
+
=== History  ===
+
 
+
=== Maps  ===
+
 
+
=== Military History and Records  ===
+
 
+
=== Minorities  ===
+
 
+
=== Newspapers  ===
+
 
+
Copies of issues of the following newspapers are in the collections of the Idaho State Historical Society in Boise.
+
 
+
=== Obituaries  ===
+
 
+
=== School Records  ===
+
 
+
=== Websites  ===
+
 
+
== References  ==
+
 
+
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almo,_Idaho
+

Latest revision as of 17:33, 4 November 2013

On the location where the Taylor School once stood there is a small monument commemorating the founding of Taylor, Idaho. The monument erected by the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers tells the history of the Taylor Settlement as:

“Six men came to this area from Hooper, utah, to homestead in the early spring of 1885: John, Edward and William Priest, Smith Johnson, and Edwin and Abiah Wadsworth Jr. They each built a log house on their claim before returning to Utah for their families. Leaders of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS), headquartered in Salt Lake, were informed of this small settlement. In 1886 Apostle John W Taylor of the LDS Church was sent to organize the group into a branch, a part of the Bannock Stake with headquarters in Rexburg, Idaho. The decision was made to name the ward in honor of Apostle Taylor. William Priest became the first bishop. The first church meetings wer held in Abiah Wadsworth Jr.’s home.

By 1886 a log structure was erected for public use on land donated by John Priest. The first teacher was John Henry Evans, the church recorder. A second multi-purpose structure, a two-room, 30 by 60 foot white frame building was built in the mid 1890s. This building burned during the winter of 1904, taking with it all church and school records. In 1905 a two-room brick building was completed. Church, school and dances were held in the building until a church was constructed in 1915.

To water this arid, sagebrush-covered land, the pioneers had to dig a 10 mile long irrigation canal from Eagle Rock, located to the north. Hay and grain, their first crops, were grown in 1890.

The beautiful Taylor Cemetery was established in April 1887 when Abiah Wadsworth Jr. and William Arave purchased 5 acres of land for $65 to bury Ellen, the infant daughter of Sarah and Abiah Wadsworth, Jr.”

All of the original buildings (the school, church and general store) are now gone and in place of them is a beautiful park and ball field. The home the general store was attached to is still there, but the store portion has been torn off of the home years ago.


Taylor has since been incorporated into Idaho Falls, Idaho.


 

Need wiki, indexing, or website help? Contact our product teams.


Did you find this article helpful?

You're invited to explain your rating on the discussion page (you must be signed in).

  • This page was last modified on 4 November 2013, at 17:33.
  • This page has been accessed 678 times.