Template:Jewish City/Village of Origin
From FamilySearch Wiki
(Difference between revisions)
m (moved Template:Jewish City/Town of Origin to Template:Jewish City/Village of Origin: Village is better than town.)
Revision as of 00:44, 11 March 2014
Jewish City/Village of Origin
- Review all information about place of origin found in U.S. records and family records.
- The final step before moving in Jewish research to searching for records abroad is to assure that one has the correct standard spelling, latitude and longitude, and modern country for the city or village of origin.
- Certainty about place of origin is necessary because there are few databases and almost no general censuses available for Europe. Almost all record keeping was local.
- Use one or more of these databases and possibly other online information and maps to assure accuracy:
- The JewishGen Communities Database contains information about 6,000 Jewish communities in Europe, North Africa, and the Middle East. Search the database by clicking here.
- The JewishGen Gazetteer contains the names of one million localities in 54 countries in Europe, North Africa, the Middle East, and Central Asia. Search the database by clicking here.
- Search the Fuzzy Gazetteer ISODP project by clicking here.
Note: This database generally does not include historical location names.