The Court of Arches of the Archbishop of CanterburyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Location of Records of This Court
Lambeth Palace Library
Lambeth Palace Road
London SE1 7JU
Tel: + 44 (0)20 7898 1400
Fax: + 44 (0)20 7928 7932
Post: The Librarian, Lambeth Palace Library, London, SE1 7JU, UK
Starting Your Search in Indexes
1. First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will, writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed to the "Probate Records of This Court" (below) to determine what original probate records exist for this court.
3. Contact or visit the Guildhall Library or, hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. Visit The Family History Library, or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes to probate records; then with the information obtained from the index[es] you can search more quickly the original wills and admons also on microfilm via any family history centers near you.
Although the The Court of Arches of the Archbishop of Canterbury was an "appeals court" for the Province of Canterbury, it also held peculiar jurisdiction for the probating of wills admons in three London parishes within the City. These parishes were St Gregory by St Paul's (Cathedral), St Giles without Cripplegate and St Helen Bishopsgate. Records of this probate court date from 1635 to 1913. Be certain to check the Peculiar Court of the Dean and Chapter of St Paul's, jurisdiction as well.
The Court of Arches of the Archbishop of Canterbury probate records are well-covered with the following indexes: 1660 to 1913 published by the List and Index Society, London.
- A comprehensive will and admon index to London (including Greater L.) for the years covering 1750-1858, is Dr David Wright's London Probate Index on CDs and are on sale or he will perform "lookups" in his indexes for you.
Original Handwritten Indexes
There are "typed script" indexes at the Society of Genealogists and at The National Archives at Kew, in Richmond Surrey for all years, 1620-1780
Manuscript indexes exist at the Lambeth Palace Library.
Microfilmed Indexes at the Family History Library
- The manuscript indexes of the original (unregistered) wills and the registered wills are on microfilm at The Family History Library covering all years from 1660 to 1913.
- These may be viewed at the Family History Library and may be circulated to any one of its satellite Family History Centers.
Searching for probates in this court
DEANERY OF THE ARCHES OF LONDON
ORIGINAL WILLS 1624-1777
REGISTERED WILLS 1664-1821, 1841
CALENDARS (first-letter-of-surname index) 1672-1837
CAVEAT BOOKS 1664-1831
BONDS & WARRANTS 1663-1781
BONDS ALPHA ARRANGED
ORIGINAL WILLS, INVENTORIES & BONDS 1620-1780; 1832
PROBATE and ADMINISTRATION ACT BOOKS 1664-1841
DEANERIES OF CROYDON and SHOREHAM
REGISTERED WILLS 1664-1685; Arches Croydon & Shoreham 1685-1841
ORIGINAL WILLS, INVENTORIES & BONDS 1602, 1614-1841 PROBATE and ADMINISTRATION ACT BOOKS 1629-1841
CAVEAT BOOKS 1664-1831
Strategies, Tips, Other?
There are some indexes for this court. See the above general countywide indexes. To view a list of parishes and their respective probate court jurisdiction, see the "Middlesex Probate Jurisdictions by Parish" on the main page for Middlesex Probate Records.