The Knowles CollectionEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Jewish Genealogy > Knowles Collection
The Knowles Collection is six databases that include records of the Jewish people. The six databases are:
- Jews of The British Isles
- Jews of North America
- Jews of Europe
- Jews of South America and The Caribbean
- Jews of Africa and the Orient.
- Jews of the South Pacific
The great advantage of the Knowles Collection is that it links together into family groups, thousands of individual Jews (over 1,150,000 as of Jan 2015). Until now, these records were available only at the Family History Library, or from private archives or individuals.
Current totals for the Knowles Collection (as of 1 Jan 2015)
- Africa and the Orient - 37,618 people
- British Isles - 208,349 people
- Europe - 380,637 people
- North America - 489,400 people
- South America and the Caribbean - 21,351 people
- South Pacific Islands - 21,518
Updates about the collection, and helpful clues for research can be found at knowlescollection.blogspot.com.
This record contains
- Surname and forenames (continually being added)
- Links to ancestors
- Dates where available
- Places where available
- Source citations where available
- Notes where available
Before using this record know
- Name of person to search for
- Approximate year of birth
- Where the person lived
Where to access the collection
Search this collection through the FamilySearch Community Trees website. Look for the section on Knowles Collection. .
A link to the Community trees website is also available at knowlescollection.blogspot.com
How to search the record
- Search by the name of your ancestor
- View the sources
- View the notes
It is possible that as families moved throughout the world they found themselves in the records of different countries. Therefore, it is wise to check multiple database for your ancestors.
The collection is constantly being added to, so it should be checked at regular intervals.
- This page was last modified on 2 February 2015, at 18:23.
- This page has been accessed 7,664 times.