Tockholes, Lancashire

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
(standard key)
m (Text replace - "amp;amp;" to "amp;")
Line 13: Line 13:
 
<br>
 
<br>
  
"TOCKHOLES, '''a''' township and '''chapelry''', '''''in the parish''''', union, and Lower division of the hundred, '''''of Blackburn''''', N. division of the county of Lancaster, 3¾ miles south by southwest&nbsp;from Blackburn. The chapelry hitherto consisted of Tockholes and Livesey; but by a recent order of the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, it now consists of the township of Tockholes, and parts of the townships of Livesey and Lower Darwen.&nbsp;The old chapel was dedicated to St Michael: the present edifice is dedicated to St. Stephen; it was built in 1833. The Independents have a place of worship.<ref>''[[A Topographical Dictionary of England]]'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 366-369. URL:&amp;amp;nbsp;Adapted. Date accessed: 31 July 2010.</ref>&nbsp;  
+
"TOCKHOLES, '''a''' township and '''chapelry''', '''''in the parish''''', union, and Lower division of the hundred, '''''of Blackburn''''', N. division of the county of Lancaster, 3¾ miles south by southwest&nbsp;from Blackburn. The chapelry hitherto consisted of Tockholes and Livesey; but by a recent order of the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, it now consists of the township of Tockholes, and parts of the townships of Livesey and Lower Darwen.&nbsp;The old chapel was dedicated to St Michael: the present edifice is dedicated to St. Stephen; it was built in 1833. The Independents have a place of worship.<ref>''[[A Topographical Dictionary of England]]'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 366-369. URL:&amp;nbsp;Adapted. Date accessed: 31 July 2010.</ref>&nbsp;  
  
 
The modern church of St Stephen was built in the 1960's including the arch of an 1833 rebuilding of the older church.  
 
The modern church of St Stephen was built in the 1960's including the arch of an 1833 rebuilding of the older church.  

Revision as of 12:47, 28 June 2013

England go to Lancashire go to Lancashire Parishes

Tockholes St Stephen

Contents

Chapelry History

Tockholes St Stephen was created a chapel of ease in 1725 from, and lying within the boundaries of  Blackburn St Mary, Lancashire Ancient Parish.

Other places in the parish include: Livesey.

In 1833 a large pit was discovered in Tockholes located in a field with the official title of "Pit Field", this field had previously been known locally as "Kill Field". In the pit was found the remains of some forty horses along with Cannon balls, Clubs and Large Buttons. At sometime during the Civil War either during the course of the Earl of Derby's movements between Preston, Bolton, and Blackburn in 1643, or during 1644 with the passage of Prince Rupert's army severe fighting took place about the lower part of Tockholes, in the vicinity of the church and then on to Cartridge-hill and Hollinshead Hall. Several cannon-balls have been picked up in other parts Tockholes, One was found in a field just above the Bethesda Chapel and another was found on Cartridge-hill, a lofty fell a mile or so further to the south above Hollinshead Hall. Musket bullets have also been found in a field behind the Old Independent Chapel only a short distance from the “Kill Filed” Pit. The artefacts recovered in Tockholes seem to indicate a severe battle in which troops, horses and musketeers were engaged and in which at least one piece of ordnance was brought into use by one side or the other. A battle whereby at least forty horses are killed does must have been quite a fierce one for such a small village. As the pit was found so close to the old Church of Tockholes, It is supposed that the bodies of the soldiers killed in the Battle would have be removed and buried in consecrated ground, Their weapons and items of Value being claimed by the prevailing side.


"TOCKHOLES, a township and chapelry, in the parish, union, and Lower division of the hundred, of Blackburn, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 3¾ miles south by southwest from Blackburn. The chapelry hitherto consisted of Tockholes and Livesey; but by a recent order of the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, it now consists of the township of Tockholes, and parts of the townships of Livesey and Lower Darwen. The old chapel was dedicated to St Michael: the present edifice is dedicated to St. Stephen; it was built in 1833. The Independents have a place of worship.[1] 

The modern church of St Stephen was built in the 1960's including the arch of an 1833 rebuilding of the older church.

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD

Lancashire Online Parish Clerks

An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/


Church records

Online Records

Church of England

Tockholes chapelry's registers of christenings, marriages and burials, along with those of the ancient parish of Blackburn St Mary to which it is attached, have been mostly transcribed and are displayed online at the following web sites and ranges of years:

AC = Ancestry.co.uk (£)
FMP = FindMyPast.co.uk (£)
FREG = FreeReg
FS = FamilySearch.org
LBMD = LancashireBMD.org.uk
LOPC = Lancashire Online Parish Clerk


TOCKHOLES ST STEPHEN Chapelry  (1775) Indexes

Baptisms Marriages Burials
FS 1777-1856 1841-1900 1785-1900
LOPC 1777-1900 1840-1900 1775-1900
LBMD None 1840-1993 None
BLACKBURN ST MARY THE VIRGIN PARISH (1600) Indexes (ancient parish containing TOCKHOLES Chapelry)

Baptisms Marriages Burials
FS 1600-1910 1600-1704, 1720-1900 1720-1900
LOPC 1600-1611, 1614-1628, 1653-1848, 1854-1881 1600-1680, 1698-1705, 1722-1900 1651-1652, 1746-1900
LBMD 1837-1885 1837-1957 1837-1885
FMP None 1600-1705 None
AC 1600-1660 1600-1660 1600-1660


For a full list of all those chapels surrounding Tockholes and comprising the whole ancient parish of Blackburn St Mary to which it was attached, be certain to see "Church Records" on the BLACKBURN ST MARY PARISH page.


Census records

Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 306893.


Poor Law Unions

Blackburn Poor Law Union, Lancashire

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

References

  1. A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 366-369. URL:&nbsp;Adapted. Date accessed: 31 July 2010.