Todmorden, Lancashire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
TODMORDEN, a parochial chapelry, and the head of a union; containing 16,830 inhabitants, of whom 10,776 are in a part of the town of Todmorden, and in the townships of Langfield and Stansfield, parish of Halifax, W. riding of York; and the remaining 6054 in the greater portion of the town of Todmorden, and in the hamlet of Walsden, parish of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, S. division of the county of Lancaster; 20 miles (N. E.) from Manchester, and 207 (N. W. by N.) from London. This place, which is situated in the fertile and romantic vale of Todmorden, anciently Todmaredene, or " the valley of the Fox mere," belonged in the reign of Edward III. to the family of Radcliffe, a branch from Radcliffe Tower, which resided here and at Mearley, alternately, for more than four centuries. The estate was ultimately conveyed by marriage with Elizabeth, heiress of Joshua Radcliffe, Esq., to Roger Mainwaring, Esq., of Carincham, in the county of Chester, by whom it was alienated, and subsequently sold, about the close of the 17th century. The vale, which is watered by the Calder, abounds with coal, and with stone and timber for building. Numerous mills for spinning cotton, and spacious factories for the weaving of calicoes, fustians, dimities, satteens, and velveteens, have been erected on the banks of the river, and are scattered throughout the valley; the manufacture also of worsted goods has been introduced, and is carried on to a very great extent. In addition to the mills on the Calder, there are several in the township whose machinery is propelled by steam; the number of engines employed is 34, of the aggregate power of 608 horses. In the extensive cotton-works of Messrs. Fielden are five steam-engines of the aggregate power of 242 horses, and water-power equivalent to that of 15 horses. About 60,000lb. of cotton-yarn are spun, and 7000 pieces of calico woven, weekly in the town and vicinity, exclusively of fustians and other goods; and ten packs of wool are used weekly in the manufacture of various kinds of worsted goods. The town is situated near the junction of the several townships, and skirted on the south by the Rochdale canal, which opens a direct communication with the inland navigation of Yorkshire and Lancashire, and through those channels, with the eastern and western sea-ports. The intercourse has been latterly increased by the Manchester and Leeds railway, which has a station here; and the Burnley branch of this railway quits the main line at Todmorden. The market for corn and provisions is on Thursday, and for cattle on the first Thursday in every month; fairs for cattle, which continue for three days each, commence on the Thursday before Easter, and on the 27th of September. A court ot petty-sessions, established in 1833 by John Crossley, Esq., of Scaitcliffe, at the request of the inhabitants, is still continued. The powers of the county debt-court of Todmorden, established in 1847, extend over the registration-district of Todmorden. The chapel, erected about the time of the Reformation, on land given for its site and for a spacious cemetery by the Radcliffes, of Todmorden Hall, having become ruinous, was rebuilt in 1770, by Anthony Crossley, Gent., at an expense of £605, and is at present used for the performance of the funeral service. A church dedicated to Christ, which is now the parochial chapel, was erected in 1832 at a cost of nearly £4500, by subscription, aided by a liberal grant from the Parliamentary Commissioners; it is a handsome structure in the early English style, with a square embattled tower. Near it are excellent national schools just erected at a cost of £2000; and a parsonage-house. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £165; patron, the Vicar of Rochdale. In the hamlet of Walsden is another incumbency. A school adjoining the old churchyard was endowed in 1713, with £100 by the Rev. Richard Clegg, vicar of Kirkham-in-the-Fylde, and with £50 by subscription. The union of Todmorden comprises six townships, containing a population of 31,656.
From: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 369-372. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51348 Date accessed: 31 July 2010.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.