Tom Green County, TexasEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Tom Green County, Texas|
Location in the state of Texas
Location of Texas in the U.S.
|Founded||March 13, 1874|
|County Seat||San Angelo|
Tom Green County has had four courthouses and two county seats. When the county was first organized, the town of Ben Flickin was chosen as the county seat. After the town was destroyed by a flood in 1882, the county seat was moved to the larger and more centrally located San Angelo, where the second Tom Green Courthouse was completed in 1884. The current courthouse was built in 1928.
Tom Green County Courthouse
124 W. Beauregard
San Angelo, TX 76905-5835
The original Tom Green County extended to the Pecos River and covered 12,500 square miles. Twelve other counties have been created from this area. The first white settler arrived in 1864. Ben Ficklin was almost washed away in 1882.
1874--Tom Green County was created 13 March 1874 from Bexar Land District. County seat: San Angelo 
1876 -- When Tom Green County was created in 1874, the county had no northern boundary. On 21 August 1876, a northern boundary was created - drawn from the northwest corner of Runnels County to the New Mexico state line and cutting off territory for 54 counties to the north of Tom Green County.
1882 -- Ben Flicken, then the county seat, was destroyed by flood.
1886 -- The second floor of the Tom Green County Courthouse caught fire on June 28, 1886, possibly from mice eating matches. The fire started in the office of the Clerk of District Courts. Many of the records in the clerk's office were destroyed. 
Places / Localities
Ben Flickin | Carlsbad | Christoval | Grape Creek | Knickerbocker | Mereta | San Angelo | Tankersley | Vancourt | Veribest | Wall | Water Valley
- Tom Green County Cemeteries ~ TXGenWeb
- Cemetery Books available from the San Angelo Genealogical and Historical Society:
- Belvedere Memorial Park Cemetery book, 1993, 110 pages including index.
- Calvary Catholic Cemetery book, 49 pages including an index.
- Fairmount Cemetery book, 2001, 710 pages including surname index.
- Tombstone Transcription Project ~ Partial transcription of cemetery tombstones ~ USGenWeb
- Texas Historic Cemeteries ~ Partial indexes to historic cemeteries
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Texas Escapes Listing of Texas cemeteries with transcriptions and lots of pictures.
- The History of Tom Green County, Texas, 1931 by Julia Grace Bitner.
- Tom Green County History from the Handbook of Texas Online.
- Texas Museums ~ List of all museums in Texas ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Texas Formation Maps 1834-1931 ~ TXGenWeb
- Texas Census Maps 1836-1930 ~ TXGenWeb
- Historical Maps ~ From the Republic to the Turn of the Century ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the Texas Genweb site
- Camps and Forts of Tom Green County ~ TXGenWeb
- Military Resources ~ Links to research Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Fallen Heroes ~ Partial Index of casualties from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Honoring Our Veterans ~ Partial index of veterans from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- San Angelo Standard Times
- Christoval Observer
- San Angelo Enterprise
- Home Town News - Texas Newspaper Index with links
- Newslink - Texas Newspaper List (sorted by publication frequency)
- The Olden Times - Historic Texas News Online
- Tom Green County Obituaries ~ TXGenWeb
- Obituary Resources ~ Links to research and locate obituaries ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Texas
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Texas Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Project ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Search Tax, Criminal, Land and Wills Records ~ Ancestry.com (subscription)
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
- Texas Marriage Records 1966 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Texas Divorce Records 1968 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Texas 1850 - 1930
Societies and Libraries
- San Angelo Genealogical and Historical Society
P.O. Box 3453
San Angelo, TX 76902-3453 website
- Tom Green County Historical Society
P.O. Box 5602
San Angelo, TX 76903 website
- Society Hill ~ Links and addresses to Texas genealogical and historical societies
- Tom Green County Library System
113 W Beauregard Ave
San Angelo, TX 76903
Phone: (325) 655-7321
- Tom Green County ~ TXGenWeb
- Tom Green County Archives ~ TXGenWeb Archives
- TXGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county.
- Hidden Ancestors Information on Texas genealogy research as well as genealogy research in general.
- USGenWeb Texas Archives Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Handbook of Texas Online: Tom Green County http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hct07
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ GenDisasters.com San Angelo, TX Tom Green County Courthouse Fire, Jun 1886 http://www3.gendisasters.com/texas/17830/san-angelo-tx-tom-green-county-courthouse-fire-jun-1886
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback