TomreganEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Ireland Counties of Ireland County Fermanagh County Fermanagh Parishes Tomregan
The following information is a starting point for records about the civil parish of Tomregan. The information is based on locations and records before 1922.
Tomregan is a parish located partly in the barony of Knockninny, county of Fermanagh, and partly in that of Lower Loughtee, but chiefly in the barony of Tullaghagh, county of Cavan, and province of Ulster, on the road from Belturbet to Swanlinbar. The parish contains the post-town of Ballyconnell. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Kilmore.
In the Roman Catholic divisions the parish is partly in the union or district of Knockninny, and partly in that of Drumlaine, but chiefly in that of Kildallon. There was also a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists.
The history of Tomregan is on Wikipedia at Tomregan
The history of Ballyconnell is on Wikipedia at Ballyconnell
Old photos and maps of Tomregan are on Flickr
The parish of Tomregan is surrounded by the parishes of Drumlane, Kildallan, Kinawley, and Templeport, as well as the county of Fermanagh. It is located in the poor law unions of Bawnboy and Cavan.
To discover the townlands that are within the parish boundaries go to the following
The names of townlands in the parish are:
The Fermanagh townlands in Tomregan civil parish are- Aghindisert, Carickaleese, Cloncoohy, Derrintony, Derryart, Garvary, Gortahurk, Gortaree, Gortineddan, Gortmullan, Knockadoois, Knockateggal, Tonymore and Ummera.
The Cavan townlands in Tomregan civil parish are- Agharaskilly, Aghavoher, Annagh, Aughrim, Berrymount, Carrigan, Carrowmore, County Cavan, Cavanagh, Clifton, Cloncollow, The Common or Sralahan, Corranierna, Cranaghan, Cullyleenan, Derryginny, Doon, Fartrin, Gortawee or Scotchtown, Gortoorlan, Moher, Mucklagh, Mullaghduff, Mullanacre Lower, Mullanacre Upper, Mullynagolman, Rakeelan, Slievebrickan, Snugborough.
Poor Law Union-
Maps and gazetteers
A map of Tomregan townlands in Co.Cavan
A map of Tomregan townlands in Co.Fermanagh)
There are four separate graveyards in the County Cavan section of the civil parish of Tomregan. They are
1. The Church of Ireland graveyard at Tomregan Church in Church Street, Ballyconnell. This contains both Protestant and Catholic burials from the mid 18th century to date.
2. The Roman Catholic graveyard at St.Brigid's Chapel, Railway Road, Ballyconnell. They contain only Roman Catholic burials from the mid 19th century to date.
3. The interdenominational graveyard beside Our Lady of Lourdes Church, Daisy Hill, Ballyconnell. This contains burials from the late 20th century to date.
4. The ancient graveyard in Mullynagolman townland beside the site of the old Catholic church which fell out of use in the 16th century. This has not been excavated as yet.
Graveyards 1 and 2 are covered by the article "Ballyconnell Tombstone Inscriptions (pre 1900)", by John O'Reilly, in Breifne Journal. Vol. VII, No. 25, pp. 498-512. Some inscriptions are also covered in "OLD IRISH GRAVEYARDS pre-1940", by Eileen Hewson, PART II Arvagh; Ballyconnell; Belturbet; Shercock; Kill; Meaghera; Mullagh; Roffony. ISBN 978-0-9548979-7-0
The only graveyard in the Fermanagh section of the parish is at the medieval ruins of Temple Regan church in Knockateggal townland but has not been excavated.
The graveyard at Callowhill covers some of the inhabitants of the County Fermanagh section of Tomregan Civil Parish and is described in the article "Callohill. Inscriptions on Headstones in Callowhill Graveyard." by Bryan Gallagher & J.V. Cassidy. Breifne Journal ,1987, Vol. VI, No. 21. p.89.
The purpose of a census was to gather information about people who lived in an area. While the government began census taking in 1821, only fragments exist before 1901. Censuses for 1901 and 1911 are available. Read more about the records in the Ireland Census article.
The 1901 census for Tomregan is available for consulting in various locations, including the Cavan Research Centre and the National Archives of Ireland.
The 1911 census for Tomregan is available for consulting in various locations, including the Cavan Research Centre, the National Archives of Ireland and online at- Nationalarchives.
Add information here about census substitutes that you know about.
Read general information about church records.
Tomregan Roman Catholic registers are available for consulting in various locations, including with the local parish priest, the Cavan Research Centre, the National Library of Ireland (reference P.5345), the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (reference MIC.1D/78) and the Church of Jesus Christ Latter Day Saints archives worldwide (reference 979703). The records date as follows- 1. Baptism 1867 to date 2. Marriages 1867 to date 3. Burials see Church of Ireland below for Catholics who were buried in the Protestant graveyard).
A photo of Tomregan Our Lady of Lourdes church, Ballyconnell.
A photo of Tomregan St.Brigid's chapel (now disused), Ballyconnell.
Church of Ireland
Tomregan Church of Ireland registers are available for consulting in various locations, including the local rectory, the Cavan Research Centre, the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (reference MIC/1/218) and the Church of Jesus Christ Latter Day Saints archives worldwide. The records date as follows- 1. Baptism 1797 to date 2. Marriages 1802 to date 3. Burials 1805 to date (these include Catholics and other non-C of I worshippers who were buried in the Protestant graveyard). A photo of Tomregan Church of Ireland, Ballyconnell.
Tomregan Presbyterian registers are available for consulting in the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (reference MIC/1P/276). The records date as follows- 1.Marriages 1918-1930 A photo of Tomregan Presbyterian Church, Ballyconnell (which has now been converted to a library).
Tomregan Methodist registers are available for consulting in the Cavan Research Centre. The records date as follows- 1.Marriages 1880 to date. A photo of Tomregan Methodist Church, Ballyconnell.
Society of Friends
Name(s) of ecclesiastical parish, records, availability, archive, online indexes, notes.
Name(s) of ecclesiastical parish, records, availability, archive, online indexes, notes.
Government registration of births and deaths began in 1864. Registration of Protestant marriages began in 1845, with all marriages being registered by 1864. Go to the Ireland Civil Registration article to read more about these records.
The Registry of Deeds started in 1708. Land transactions were recorded, including immovable property passed on in a will and property given to a daughter at her marriage. Read more about these records in the Ireland Land and Property article. Annesley:
The Annesley family was a landlord of parts of Tomregan from c1650 - c.1900. Their papers, including rent-rolls for Tomregan, are held in the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (reference D 1503).
The Montgomery family was landlord of most of Tomregan and Ballyconnell from 1729 - 1841. Their papers, including rent-rolls, for Tomregan are held with the Killadoon Papers in the private possesion of Charles Clements of Killadoon, Celbridge, County Kildare (reference E/10).
The Enery family succeeded to the Montgomery estates in Tomregan and Ballyconnell. The estate was sold in 1856 and the detailed sale catalogue with maps and tenants names is viewable online at-www.cavanlibrary.ie/file/Library%20Scanned%20Docs/Enery%20Estate.pdf. Other papers including rent-rolls for Tomregan are held in the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland as part of the Eniskillen Estate papers (reference D 1702, D3689, T 2074).
The Benison family owned a flax-mill and a 500 acre estate in Ballyconnell. Their papers are held in the National Archives of Ireland (reference 999/63 and 2001/68), at the P.R.O.. Dublin (ref 1063) and in T.C.D. Library (ref Ms.7100 & 7101).
The records of Ballyconnell Petty Sessions Court from 1915-1920
Probate dealt with the property of a deceased person. Read more about these records in the Ireland Probate Records article.
Add information about probate records for this parish.
Read more about these records in the Ireland Schools article. Add records for this parish.
The valuation of property for tax purposes was started in the 1840s by Richard Griffith. A tax paid to the church, call Tithe Applotments, began in the 1820s. Read about these records in the Ireland Taxation and Ireland Land and Property articles. Add records for this parish that you know about.
Griffith’s Valuation of Tomregan 1837-1864 is available for consulting in various locations, including the Cavan Research Centre and the National Library of Ireland. An index of names and addresses is available online.Further information and a detailed map showing the location of each occupier's holding in the parish Griffith’s Valuation 1857
The current occupiers of each property in Tomregan and Ballyconnell.
Tithe Applotment Books 1824-1838 for the Parish of Tomregan are available for consulting in various locations, including the Cavan Research Centre, the National Archives of Ireland and the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (reference MIC.442/2)
Hearth Money Rolls 1664 for the Parish of Tomregan are available for consulting in various locations, including the Cavan Research Centre, the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (reference T808/15142) and in Breifne Journal, Volume I, Number 3 (1960) in an article entitled "The Hearth Money Rolls for the Baronies of Tullyhunco and Tullyhaw, County Cavan, 247-262." by McKiernan, Francis J. (ed.):
Add a site for this civil parish.
Book: "Beneath Slieve Rushen's Slopes". Author: Ballyconnell Heritage Group. Published 2000.
Book: Images of Life. Author: Bill Coulston in association with Ballyconnell Heritage Group. Published 2000.
- ↑ A description can be seen online at- http://www.proni.gov.uk/introduction_annesley-3.pdf
- ↑ A description can be seen online at- http://www.nli.ie/pdfs/mss%20lists/leitrim.pdf
- ↑ A description can be seen online at- http://www.proni.gov.uk/introduction_enniskillen.pdf