Tonkawa IndiansEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
To get started on American Indian Research
Various spellings: Tonkawa, Tonkaway
Ancestral homeland: central Texas
Tonkawa Tribe of Oklahoma
1 Rush Buffalo Road
Tonkawa, OK 74653-4449
- The Tonkawa Indian Tribe Official Website
1530's: First contact with Spanish explorers: Alvar Nunez Cabeza de Vaca
1540's: Francisco Vasquez de Coronado
1682: Rene Robert Cavelier de La Salle's Expedition
1847-59: The tribe was under the jurisdiction of the Texas Agency
1846: Treaty with the Comanche,Aionai, Anadarko, Caddo, Etc.,
1855: The tribe assigned to a reservation-
Tonkawa scouts served with the Texas Rangers against the Comanche.
1859: The tribe was under the jurisdiction of the Wichita Agency
1861-65: Tonkawa braves served as scouts for the Confederate Army
1859: The tribe was relocated to Washita River in Indian Territory
1865: Some members of the Tribe fled to Texas until 1884
1876-80: In Texas the tribe was under the jurisdiction of the Central Superintendency.
1884: Those who had fled to Texas removed to Indian Territory.
Additional References to the History of the Tribe
Frederick Webb Hodge, in his Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico, gave a more complete history of the Tonkawa tribe, with estimations of the population of the tribe at various time periods.
Tonkawa Records (Allotment,School, and Vital)1895-1952. FHL Films: 1205529 and 1204634
Corrrespondence and Census
|Tribe||Agency||Location of Original Records||
M234 RG 75 Rolls 962
M595 RG 75 Rolls 693
|Tonkawa||Pawnee Agency, 1871-1964||Washington D.C. and Fort Worth||Rolls 661-68||-||Rolls 338-43, 386-91||FHL Films579746-579753|
|Tonkawa||Texas Agency, 1847-59||Washington D.C.||Rolls 857-61||-||-||-|
|Tonkawa||Wichita Agency, 1859-78||Washington D.C.||Rolls 927-30||-||-||-|
- 1846 Treaty with the Comanche,Aionai, Anadarko, Caddo, Etc.,
- Pawnee Agency, M595, births and deaths 1924-1932, FHL Film: 579750
Important Web Sites
- Constitution and By-Laws of the Tonkawa Tribe of Oklahoma.
- The Tonkawa Indian Tribe Official Website
- Tonkawa Tribe Wikipedia
- Guide to Federal Records in the National Archives; Record Group 75, Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
- Hodge, Frederick Webb. Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1906 Available online.
- Klein, Barry T., ed. Reference Encyclopedia of the American Indian. Nyack, New York: Todd Publications, 2009. 10th ed. WorldCat 317923332; FHL book 970.1 R259e.
- Malinowski, Sharon and Sheets, Anna, eds. The Gale Encyclopedia of Native American Tribes. Detroit: Gale Publishing, 1998. 4 volumes. Includes: Lists of Federally Recognized Tribes for U.S., Alaska, and Canada – pp. 513-529 Alphabetical Listing of Tribes, with reference to volume and page in this series Map of “Historic Locations of U.S. Native Groups” Map of “Historic Locations of Canadian Native Groups” Map of “Historic Locations of Mexican, Hawaiian and Caribbean Native Groups” Maps of “State and Federally Recognized U.S. Indian Reservations. WorldCat 37475188; FHL book 970.1 G131g.
- Vol. 1 -- Northeast, Southeast, Caribbean
- Vol. 2 -- Great Basin, Southwest, Middle America
- Vol. 3 -- Arctic, Subarctic, Great Plains, Plateau
- Vol. 4 -- California, Pacific Northwest, Pacific Islands
- Sturtevant, William C. Handbook of North American Indians. 20 vols., some not yet published. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1978– .
- Volume 1 -- Not yet published
- Volume 2 -- Indians in Contemporary Society (pub. 2008) -- WorldCat 234303751
- Volume 3 -- Environment, Origins, and Population (pub. 2006) -- WorldCat 255572371
- Volume 4 -- History of Indian-White Relations (pub. 1988) -- WorldCat 19331914; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.4.
- Volume 5 -- Arctic (pub. 1984) -- WorldCat 299653808; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.5.
- Volume 6 -- Subarctic (pub. 1981) -- WorldCat 247493742; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.6.
- Volume 7 -- Northwest Coast (pub. 1990) -- WorldCat 247493311
- Volume 8 -- California (pub. 1978) -- WorldCat 13240086; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.8.
- Volume 9 -- Southwest (pub. 1979) -- WorldCat 26140053; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.9.
- Volume 10 -- Southwest (pub. 1983) -- WorldCat 301504096; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.10.
- Volume 11 -- Great Basin (pub. 1986) -- WorldCat 256516416; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.11.
- Volume 12 -- Plateau (pub. 1998) -- WorldCat 39401371; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.12.
- Volume 13 -- Plains, 2 vols. (pub. 2001) -- WorldCat 48209643
- Volume 14 -- Southeast (pub. 2004) -- WorldCat 254277176
- Volume 15 -- Northwest (pub. 1978) -- WorldCat 356517503; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.15.
- Volume 16 -- Not yet published
- Volume 17 -- Languages (pub. 1996) -- WorldCat 43957746
- Volume 18 -- Not yet published
- Volume 19 -- Not yet published
- Volume 20 -- Not yet published
- Swanton John R. The Indian Tribes of North America. Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology, Bulletin #145 Available online.
- Waldman, Carl. Encyclopedia of Native American Tribes. New York, New York: Facts on File, 2006. 3rd ed. WorldCat 14718193; FHL book 970.1 W146e 2006.