Toxteth Park St Clement, Lancashire Genealogy

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
(Added Church rec content)
(Added St Clement's links)
Line 42: Line 42:
 
{| border="3" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1" width="725" align="center"
 
{| border="3" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1" width="725" align="center"
 
|-
 
|-
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" colspan="4" align="center" | '''TOXTETH PARK ST THOMAS-IN-THE-FIELDS Chapelry (1840) Indexes'''
+
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" colspan="4" align="center" | '''TOXTETH PARK ST CLEMENT Chapelry (1841) Indexes'''
 
|-
 
|-
 
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" |  
 
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" |  
Line 50: Line 50:
 
|-
 
|-
 
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | '''FS'''  
 
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | '''FS'''  
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | None
+
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | '''[http://familysearch.org 1841-1856]'''
 
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | None  
 
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | None  
 
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | None
 
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | None
 
|-
 
|-
 
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | '''LOPC'''  
 
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | '''LOPC'''  
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | None
+
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | '''[http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Liverpool/Toxteth/index.html 1890-1895]'''
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | None
+
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | '''[http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Liverpool/Toxteth/index.html 1892-1901]'''
 
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | None
 
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | None
 
|-
 
|-
 
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | '''LBMD'''  
 
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | '''LBMD'''  
 
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | None  
 
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | None  
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | [http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/marrcov.php?region=LL '''<font color="#800080">1843-1935</font>''']
+
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | '''[http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/marrcov.php?region=LL 1842-1951]'''  
 
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | None
 
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | None
 
|-
 
|-
Line 96: Line 96:
 
'''Original Records'''  
 
'''Original Records'''  
  
Toxteth Park St Clement's Chapelry (parish) registers are held at the Liverpool Record Office. These registers have also been microfilmed by FamilySearch and they are available through its 4600 [https://familysearch.org/locations FamilySearch Centers] worldwide.  
+
Toxteth Park St Clement's Chapelry (parish) registers are held at the Liverpool Record Office. These registers have also been microfilmed by FamilySearch and they are available through its 4600 [https://familysearch.org/locations FamilySearch Centers] worldwide.
  
 
==== Census records  ====
 
==== Census records  ====

Revision as of 15:34, 17 October 2012

England Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Parishes

Contents

Chapelry History

Toxteth St Clement was built as a district church in the year 1841 and lay partly within the West Derby parish, and was also partly considered an extra-parochial tract within Liverpool.

There is some ambiguity as to the origin of the name. One theory is that the etymology is "Toki's landing-place". However, Toxteth is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086, and at this time, it appears as "Stochestede", i.e. "the stockaded or enclosed place", from the Anglo-Saxon stocc "stake" and Anglo-Saxon stede "place" (found in many English placenames, usually spelled stead).

The ancient township of Toxteth contains the ancient village of Smeedon or Smithdown. It stretches over an area of three miles along the River Mersey and two miles inland, the highest point being on the corner of Smithdown Lane and Lodge Lane. An ancient brook ran from the northern end of the area towards the river, near the boundary of Parliament Street, where it was used to power a water wheel before it ran into the river. Along the river are two creeks, one near the middle is known as Knot's Hole and another further south called Dickinson's Dingle received a brook which ran past the east end of St Michael's Church.

At some time in history the creeks were filled in. The Dingle is now in the area where the old northern creek was situated, and St Michael's Hamlet is situated around the southern creek. Outside the southern boundary of the area lies the creek known as Otterspool, which formed the boundary between Wavertree and West Derby.
Toward the end of the 16th century, the Royal park ceased to be and Puritan farmers from Bolton settled in the area. Setting up 25 farms on land outside Church of England control, which became Toxteth Village, they worshipped at the "Ancient Chapel" of Toxteth on Park Road. In 1611, they built a school at the Dingle, appointing Richard Mather as master. Some years later, he began preaching to the local farmers in the Ancient Chapel.

As the area began to develop and become more urbanised, several places of worship were built to serve the growing community. The first church was St James's, in 1774. Other churches built during the 19th century include St John the Baptist's, 1832; St Thomas's, 1840; St Barnabas's, 1841; St Clement's Windsor, 1841; St Matthew's, 1847; St Paul's, 1848; Holy Trinity, 1858; St Silas's, 1865; St Cleopas's, 1866; St Margaret's, 1869; Christ Church, 1870; St Philemon's, 1874; All Saints', 1884; St Gabriel's, 1884; St Agnes's, 1884; St Bede's, 1886; St Andrew's, 1893; and the Welsh Presbyterian Church, nicknamed Toxteth Cathedral, 1868

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD

Church records

Online Records 

Online transcriptions exist for Toxteth Park St Clement's Chapelry registers as well as for Liverpool's ancient parish of St Nicholas' baptism, marriage and burial registers. Displayed below are those links to online data for both this chapelry and for the ancient parish of St Nicholas located in the following websites; note the ranges of years: 

FS =FamilySearch.org
LOPCLancashire Online Parish Clerk
LBMDLancashire BMD
AC = Ancestry.co.uk

  

TOXTETH PARK ST CLEMENT Chapelry (1841) Indexes
Baptisms Marriages Burials
FS 1841-1856 None None
LOPC 1890-1895 1892-1901 None
LBMD None 1842-1951 None
LIVERPOOL ST NICHOLAS PARISH (1604) Indexes 
Baptisms Marriages Burials
FS 1604-1894 1604-1911  1779-1787;1809-1825
LOPC 1776-1865 1788-1838 1776-1854
LBMD None 1837-1939 None
AC  1659-1812 1659-1812 1659-1812

To view a full list for Liverpool's Parishes, (nearly 60) chapelries, ecclesiastical churches, and district chapels, and to view online baptism, marriage and burial transcription indexes, visit the LIVERPOOL ST PETER & ST NICHOLAS PARISH page.

Original Records

Toxteth Park St Clement's Chapelry (parish) registers are held at the Liverpool Record Office. These registers have also been microfilmed by FamilySearch and they are available through its 4600 FamilySearch Centers worldwide.

Census records

Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438719.



Poor Law Unions

West Derby, Lancashire Poor Law Union Toxteth Park, Lancashire Poor Law Union

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites