Trinity County, Texas GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Trinity County Texas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Trinity County, Texas|
Location of Texas in the U.S.
|Founded||February 11, 1850|
Trinity County Courthouse
PO Box 456
Groveton, Texas 75845
Courthouse burned 1876; some deeds refiled;
County Clerk has birth records from 1911,
death records from 1919, marriage and land
records from 1876, divorce records from 1920,
probate and court records; County Judge has
The first Anglo-American settler arrived in 1844.
1872,1876--Courthouses and most county records were destroyed by fire in December 1872 and February 1876.
Places / Localities
Apple Springs | Barnes | Glendale | Groveton | Nigton | Nogalus Prairie | Pennington | Trinity | Woodlake
- Trinity County Cemeteries ~ TXGenWeb
- Tombstone Transcription Project ~ Partial transcription of cemetery tombstones ~ USGenWeb
- Texas Historic Cemeteries ~ Partial indexes to historic cemeteries
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Texas Escapes Listing of Texas cemeteries with transcriptions and lots of pictures.
- 1860 Trinity County Census Images ~ TXGenWeb Archives Project
- 1900 Federal Census Trinity County ~ TXGenWeb Archives Project
- Trinity County Churches ~ TXGenWeb
- Texas Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in Texas
Local histories are available for Trinity County, Texas Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Texas Local Histories.
- Trinity County Beginnings, 1986, edited by Patricia B. and Joseph W. Hensley for theTrinity County Book Committee.
- A History of Trinity, 1984, by the Trinity Historical Society.
- A History Of Trinity County Texas, 1827 to 1928, 1966, by Flora Gatlin Bowles. Read the book online from The Portal to Texas History.
- Trinity County Historical Landmarks ~ TXGenWeb
- Trinity County History from the Handbook of Texas Online.
- Trinity County Maps
- Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the Texas Genweb site
- 1914 Map of Angelina, Gregg, Harrison, Cherokee, Houston, Nacogdoches, Panola, Rusk, San Augustine, Shelby, Smith & Trinity at www.rootsweb.com
- Trinity County Military Resources ~ TXGenWeb
- Military Resources ~ Links to research Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Fallen Heroes ~ Partial Index of casualties from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Honoring Our Veterans ~ Partial index of veterans from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Trinity County, Texas Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- East Texas News
- Home Town News - Texas Newspaper Index with links
- Newslink - Texas Newspaper List (sorted by publication frequency)
- The Olden Times - Historic Texas News Online
- Trinity County Obituaries ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Obituary Resources ~ Links to research and locate obituaries ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Texas
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Texas Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Project ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
Probate records of Texas have been kept by the probate clerk in each county courthouse. You can obtain copies of the records from the clerk's office. In most counties, all information pertaining to a probate case is recorded in the "probate minutes."
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their places of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records.
See the Wiki page Texas Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
- Trinity County Probate Record Books ~ TXGenWeb Archives Project
- Search Tax, Criminal, Land and Wills Records ~ Ancestry.com (subscription)
Texas tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Texas Taxation.
Texas County Tax Rolls, 1846-1910 lists FHL films with county tax lists. The lists vary by county and year. Most records are between the years of 1846 - 1910.
Certified birth and death certificates or birth and death verifications can be ordered online or by mail at the Texas Vital Records State Department of Health. Copies can also be obtained from the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred and are often less expensive. You can also order them online through a third party company.
See Texas Vital Records for more information about Vital records in Texas.
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 United States World War II Draft Records Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
- Texas Marriage Records 1966 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Texas Divorce Records 1968 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Texas 1850 - 1930
Societies and Libraries
Blanche K Werner Public Library
203 Prospect Dr
Trinity, TX 75862
Phone: (936) 594-2087
Society Hill ~ Links and addresses to Texas genealogical and historical societies
Family History Centers
- Trinity County Archives ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Trinity County ~ TXGenWeb
- TXGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county.
- Hidden Ancestors Information on Texas genealogy research as well as genealogy research in general.
- USGenWeb Texas Archives Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Trinity County, Texas. Page 675 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).