Turkey River Indian Subagency (Iowa)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Indian Tribes Associated With This Subagency
This subagency was the successor to the Prairie du Chien Subagency and was responsible for the Winnebago Indians living in Iowa Territory. The Winnebago had moved there in 1840 and the subagency was moved to a site on the Turkey River. The subagency was under the Iowa Superintendency from 1841 to 1846, and then under the St. Louis Superintendency until 1848.
Agents and Appointment Dates
David Lowry 1839, James McGregor 1844, Jonathan E. Fletcher 1845
Letters received by the Office of Indian Affairs from the Turkey River Subagency, 1842-1846, have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of their Microcopy Number M234, rolls 862-864. Copies are available at the National Archives and at the Family History Library and its family history centers (their microfilm roll numbers 1661592 thru 1661594).
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
<ref>tags exist, but no
<references/>tag was found