Tuscaloosa County, Alabama GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Dates for major county records|
|For earlier dates, try...|
|Remember these collections|
|Tuscaloosa County, Alabama|
Location in the state of Alabama
Location of Alabama in the U.S.
|Founded||February 6, 1818|
Tuscaloosa County Courthouse
714 Greensboro Avenue
Tuscaloosa, AL 35401
Phone: (205) 349-3870
Probate Judge has marriage and probate records from 1823 
1818--Tuscaloosa County was created 6 February 1818 from the Cherokee and Choctaw Cession of 1816.
County seat: Tuscaloosa 
Besides many other ways record loss can occur, tornadoes have been common and sometimes very damaging. Tuscaloosa County has been no stranger to very damaging tornadoes in its history, and in April 2011 alone it was hit twice by damaging twisters in separate tornado events. The second one on 27 April 2011 was the most devastating, and some city and possibly county offices, mainly in the southern half of the city, were hit directly by that tornado. It is also possible that other places where one might look for records, such as funeral homes, also were damaged, as other reports about other tornadoes in the two April 2011 outbreaks reported many places of that type were directly hit and destroyed in other areas of Alabama and several surrounding states.
For tips on accessing Tuscaloosa County, Alabama Genealogy census records online, see: Alabama Census.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Tuscaloosa Alabama Family History Center
- 2015 N 3rd Ave
Tuscaloosa, Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States
Hours: T 6pm-9pm; W 9am-12pm, 6pm-9pm;
Closures: July 8 6-9pm;
July 14 6-9pm;
July 15 9-12noon;
July 28 6-9pm;
August 5 9-12noon;
August 11 6-9pm;
August 12 6-9pm
- 2015 N 3rd Ave
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Tuscaloosa County, Alabama Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Tuscaloosa County p. 40. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).