Ulverston St Mary, Lancashire

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
m (formatting)
(added data for Egton with Newland)
Line 151: Line 151:
 
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | [http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/Search.pl '''1604-1700''']  
 
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | [http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/Search.pl '''1604-1700''']  
 
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | [http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/Search.pl '''1600-1701''']
 
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | [http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/Search.pl '''1600-1701''']
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" colspan="4" align="center" | '''EGTON WITH NEWLAND Chapelry  (1813) Indexes'''
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" |
 +
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | <u>'''Baptisms'''</u>
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | <u>'''Marriages'''</u>
 +
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | <u>'''Burials'''</u>
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | '''FS'''
 +
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | [http://familysearch.org '''1813-1868''']
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | '''[http://familysearch.org 1856-1861]'''
 +
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | '''[http://familysearch.org 1813-1868]'''
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | '''LOPC'''
 +
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | None
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | None
 +
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | None
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | '''LBMD'''
 +
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | None
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | None
 +
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | None
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | '''AC'''
 +
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | [http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=5895 '''Various Years''']
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | '''[http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=5895 Various Years]'''
 +
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | '''[http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=5895 Various Years]'''
 
|-
 
|-
 
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" colspan="4" align="center" | '''LOWICK ST LUKE Chapelry&nbsp; (1718) Indexes'''
 
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" colspan="4" align="center" | '''LOWICK ST LUKE Chapelry&nbsp; (1718) Indexes'''

Revision as of 20:01, 12 October 2012

England Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Parishes

See a Comprehensive List of Chapelries in Ulverston Parish

Ulverston St Mary

Contents

Parish History

Ulverston St Mary was an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Lancashire.

Other places in the parish include: Mansriggs, Ulverstone with Chapel Island, and Osmotherley. Part of the Diocese of Chester until 1847 when it passed to the Diocese of Carlisle as part of the Furness deanery.

Ulverston is a market town in the South Lakeland district of Cumbria. Historically part of Lancashire, the town is located in the Furness area, close to the Lake District, and just north of Morecambe Bay.

The name Ulverston, first recorded in the Domesday Book (1086) as Ulvrestun probably means 'Úlfarr's farm' from the Old Norse personal name Úlfarr and tun, 'farm, homestead' or the equivalent Old English Wulfhere + tūn. The names Úlfarr and Wulfhere both translate roughly as 'wolf warrior' or 'wolf army', which explains the presence of a wolf on the town's coat of arms. The loss of the 'W' in Wulfhere can be attributed to the historic Scandinavian influence in the region. Locally, the town has traditionally been known as Oostan.] Other variations of the name recorded throughout history include Oluestonam (1127), and Uluereston (1189).

The town's market charter was granted in 1280 by Edward I. This was for a market every Thursday; modern Ulverston keeps its old market town appearance, and market days are now held on both Thursdays and Saturdays. The charter also allowed for all public houses to open from 10:30 am until 11:00 pm irrespective of any other statute on the books. During the summer months the Saturday market day is themed with craft stalls, charity stalls and locally produced wares on "Made in Cumbria" stalls.

Historically, the ancient parish included several other chapelries or townships which later became separate civil parishes: Blawith, Church Coniston, Egton with Newland, Lowick, Mansriggs, Osmotherley, Subberthwaite and Torver. From 1894 to 1974 the town constituted an urban district in the administrative county of Lancashire. It became a successor parish in the Cumbria district of South Lakeland under the Local Government Act 1972.

ULVERSTON (St. Mary), a market-town and parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Lonsdale north of the Sands, N. division of the county of Lancaster; containing, with the townships of Mansriggs, Osmotherley, and Subberthwaite, and the chapelries of Blawith, Church-Conistone, Egtonwith Newland, Lowick, and Torver, 8778 inhabitants, of whom 5352 are in the town, 22 miles (N. W.) from Lancaster, and 271 (N. W. by N.) from London. This place derives its name, written in old records Olvestonam, from Ulpha, a Saxon lord; and was conferred in 1127, on the abbey of Furness, by Stephen, afterwards King of England. It was subsequently granted to Gilbert, who had succeeded to the barony of Kendal, and who released the inhabitants from their state of feudalism, bestowing upon them a charter, which was augmented and confirmed by his successors. The manor afterwards reverted to the crown; and being, in 1609, divided into moieties, was eventually purchased in 1736, by the Duke of Montagu, for £490, and is at present vested in the Duke of Buccleuch. A charter was obtained from Edward I., for a market and an annual fair; but it. continued to be merely nominal until the dissolution of Furness Abbey, near Dalton, the capital of that district, from which event the prosperity of Ulverston may be dated. The town is pleasantly situated near the beautiful bay of Morecambe, and is nearly environed by hills: the streets form principal lines, and within the last few years have been lighted with gas. Good water is in abundance, a stream flowing through the town; the celebrated spring called the Lightburn, remarkable for its purity, contributes to the supply, and water is always found at a depth of about 20 feet, under a bed of gravel. The air is salubrious, the inhabitants very healthy, and remarkable for longevity, a fact evidenced in the RegistrarGeneral's reports. There are a theatre, an assemblyroom, and a subscription library containing 5000 volumes, many of them standard works; also a parochial, a clerical, and a circulating library; and, besides other institutions, a banking-house and a savings' bank. The market-place occupies a central position at the junction of streets from the north, south, east, and west. The peninsular situation of the town led to the appointment of mounted guides to direct travellers across the Sands, who were paid by government to be in attendance from sunrise to sunset, while the channel was fordable; but this arrangement has been partially superseded by the construction of a road to Carnforth, under an act of parliament. The prevailing branches of manufacture are those of cotton, linen, check, canvass for sails, sacking, candlewicks, hats, axes, adzes, spades, hoes, and sickles. The chief articles of export, in addition to some of the above, are iron and copper ores, pig and bar iron of the finest quality, the best blue and green slates, and limestone, wool, grain, butter, gunpowder, leather, hoops, basketrods, baskets called swills, crate and wheel-spoke wood, and oak and larch poles: these are principally sent coastwise, the intercourse with foreign countries being limited. There is a yard for ship-building, and the aggregate registry of ships belonging to the place is nearly 3000 tons; four or five vessels are employed in the American timber trade. Ulverston is a port within the port of Lancaster, and is little more than a mile distant from the Furness channel in Morecambe bay. In 1793 an act was obtained for making a canal one mile and a quarter in length, which opens a communication with the bay, and by means of which ships of 400 tons' burthen are safely moored in a capacious basin with extensive wharfs, and can discharge their cargoes close to the town. In 1846 an act was passed for extending the Furness railway to Ulverston. The market, granted to Roger de Lancaster in the 8th of Edward I., is on Thursday; and fairs are held on the Tuesday before Easter Sunday, on Whit-Thursday, October 7th, the first Thursday after Oct. 23rd, and, for horses, on the Tuesday preceding the first full week in January. Manorial courts leet and baron take place on the Monday next after Oct. 24th. The petty-sessions, and the meetings of the guardians of the poor, for Lonsdale north of the Sands, are held here on Thursdays weekly. The powers of the county debt-court of Ulverston, established in 1847, extend over part of the registrationdistrict of Ulverston. The parish, which was anciently included in the parish of Dalton, comprises by computation 32,640 acres, whereof about one-third is arable, and the remainder pasture, wood, and peat or moss land; the extent of ground between the north and south extremities is eighteen or nineteen miles, and the greatest breadth about three miles. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £149, derived from land; patron and impropriator, T. R. G. Braddyll, Esq. The whole parish is free from the great tithes of corn and hay. The church is situated on the northern side of the town, on rising ground commanding a beautiful prospect: a Norman doorway and the tower are the only portions of the original church, the present edifice having been built in 1804. It contains a fine altar-piece, the Entombment of Christ, copied from Vandyke's picture in the Borghese Palace at Rome by Ghirardi, and presented by Mr. Braddyll: there is also a good organ by England. Trinity church was completed in 1832 from the designs of A. Salvin, Esq., of London, at a cost of £5301, and is in the early English style: the painting which adorns the altar of this edifice was also the gift of Mr. Braddyll, and is a copy, by the same artist, of the Crucifixion, by Guido, in the church of St. Lorenzo di Lucina at Rome. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Mr. Braddyll, with a net income of £143, derived from pew-rents. In the rural parts of the parish are five separate incumbencies. The Independents, Wesleyans, and Roman Catholics have places of worship; and Sunday schools in connexion both with the churches and meetinghouses afford religious instruction to a large number of children. There are, besides, auxiliaries of the Christian Knowledge, the British and Foreign Bible, the Gospel Propagation, the Church Missionary, and London and Wesleyan Missionary, Societies. Among the places of interest in the immediate vicinity is Conishead Priory, the seat of the Braddyll family. This splendid mansion occupies the site of a monastery founded by Gamel de Pennington for Black canons, and the revenue of which at the Dissolution was £124. 2. 1.: the conventual building was then dismantled, and the materials were sold for £333. 6. 3½. Some remains of the cemetery, pillars of the transepts, the foundation walls of the church, with several skeletons, were discovered in 1823, when preparing the site for the present building. The mansion is in the early English style, in an extensive park, with gardens exquisitely laid out, and terraces 858 feet in length: the entrance hall is 61 feet long, with painted windows of great beauty, and adorned with suits of armour; the other apartments are fitted up in a style of luxurious elegance, and contain some fine pictures. Also, may be mentioned, Bardsea Hall, a good specimen of a Swiss villa; Chapel Island, on the Sands; the bold promontory or headland, The Hoad, whence a good general view is obtained of the town and the surrounding country; and Swarthmoor Hall, in which George Fox, founder of the Society of Friends, resided, now in a dilapidated condition. His study and bedroom here are objects of great curiosity; in the latter is a substantial antique bedstead with carved posts, on which he used to repose, and which any of his followers, it is said, are permitted to occupy for a night. The Friends' meeting-house near Swarthmoor Hall is a plain structure: over the doorway is the inscription "Ex dono G. F. 1688." This was one of the first meetinghouses erected for the Society, and was a gift from George Fox himself, as the inscription imports. Richard de Ulverston, a monk of considerable eminence, and author of a work entitled Articles of Faith, was born at Ulverston in 1434.

From: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 414-418. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51361 Date accessed: 02 August 2010.

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Lancashire Online Parish Clerks

An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/

Church records

Online Records

Ulverston St. Mary parish registers and those registers of all of its smaller chapelries lying within its boundaries have been mostly transcribed and are displayed online at the following web sites and ranges of years:

FS = FamilySearch.org
LOPC Lancashire Online Parish Clerk project
FMP = FindMyPast.co.uk
LBMDLancashireBMD.org.uk
AC = Ancestry.co.uk
FREG = FreeReg
ULVERSTON ST MARY PARISH (1545) Indexes
Baptisms Marriages Burials
FS 1546-1910 1545-1914 1678-1903
LOPC 1771-1780, 1813-1841 1545-1617, 1771-1780, 1821-1841 1771-1780, 1814-1841
LBMD None None None
FMP None 1545-1837 None
BLAWITH ST JOHN THE BAPTIST Chapelry  (1728) Indexes
Baptisms Marriages Burials
FS 1728-1837 None None
LOPC 1745-1875 1730-1837 1745-1875
LBMD None None None
FMP None 1730-1837 None
AC 1728-1837 1728-1837 1728-1837
CONISTON ST ANDREW Chapelry  (1599) Indexes
Baptisms Marriages Burials
FS 1599-1701, 1875-1880 1604-1700 1871-1881
LOPC 1690-1875 1690-1836, 1839-1855 1691-1810, 1813-1871
LBMD None None None
FMP None 1604-1836 None
AC 1599-1700 1599-1700 1599-1700
FREG 1599-1701 1604-1700 1600-1701
EGTON WITH NEWLAND Chapelry  (1813) Indexes
Baptisms Marriages Burials
FS 1813-1868 1856-1861 1813-1868
LOPC None None None
LBMD None None None
AC Various Years Various Years Various Years
LOWICK ST LUKE Chapelry  (1718) Indexes
Baptisms Marriages Burials
FS 1718-1873 1727-1872 1777-1873
LOPC 1777-1873 1778-1872 1778-1873
LBMD None None None
FMP None 1727-1837 None
AC 1718-1837 1718-1837 1718-1837
TORVER Chapelry  (1599) Indexes
Baptisms Marriages Burials
FS 1599-1792 1599-1785 None
LOPC None None None
LBMD None None None
FMP None 1599-1836 None
AC 1599-1792 1599-1792 1599-1792
Original Records

The Lancashire Record Office at Bow Lane, Preston PR2 1RE, holds the original parish registers in its vast collections. Contact their website for contact information.

The Family History Library has microfilmed the parish registers and Bishop's transcripts of Ulverston St. Mary parish for the years 1545-1914. These films are available for ordering/circulating and researching at any one of its satellite FamilySearch Centers worldwide.

Census records

Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 306916.


Poor Law Unions

Ulverston Poor Law Union,Lancashire

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites