United KingdomEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, more commonly known as the United Kingdom or the UK is a sovereign state located off the northwestern coast of continental Europe. It is an island nation, spanning Great Britain and the north-east part of Ireland, although the whole island of Ireland was part of the United Kingdom between 1801 and 1922.
The United Kingdom is a unitary state consisting of four countries: England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales. It is governed by a parliamentary system with its seat of government in London, England, but with three devolved national administrations in Belfast, Northern Ireland; Cardiff, Wales and Edinburgh, Scotland. England does not have its own national administration.The Isle of Man and the Channel Islands, of Guernsey and Jersey, are not part of the United Kingdom, but are British Crown Dependencies.
Wiki articles describing online collections are found at:
- Great Britain Births and Baptisms (FSHR)
- Great Britain Marriages (FSHR)
- Great Britain Deaths and Burials (FSHR)
- UK Chelsea Pensioners' Service Records (FSHR)
- www.geograph.org.uk - a project which aims to collect geographically representative photographs and information for every square kilometre of Great Britain and Ireland
- www.deceasedonline.com - The central database for UK burials and cremations
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback