United KingdomEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, more commonly known as the United Kingdom or the UK is a sovereign state located off the northwestern coast of continental Europe. It is an island nation, spanning Great Britain and the north-east part of Ireland (although the whole island of Ireland was part of the United Kingdom between 1801 and 1922).
The United Kingdom is a unitary state consisting of four countries: England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
|Northern Ireland||1.3 million|
It is governed by a parliamentary system with its seat of government in London, England, but with three devolved national administrations in Belfast, Northern Ireland; Cardiff, Wales and Edinburgh, Scotland. England does not currently have its own national administration.
The United Kingdom is a member of the European Union and the United Nations. The individual countries have no representation in these organisations.
For genealogy purposes see the individual countries:
Wiki articles describing online collections are found at:
- Great Britain Births and Baptisms (FSHR)
- Great Britain Marriages (FSHR)
- Great Britain Deaths and Burials (FSHR)
- UK Chelsea Pensioners' Service Records (FSHR)
- UKBMD.org.uk - an extensive gateway to numerous online databases for countries and counties throughout the United Kingdom of Great Britain (many cost-free)
- www.geograph.org.uk - a project which aims to collect geographically representative photographs and information for every square kilometre of Great Britain and Ireland
- www.deceasedonline.com - The central database for UK burials and cremations