United States, Headstone Applications for U.S. Military Veterans (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records scheduled to become available at FamilySearch.org.|
Collection Time Period
The records are for applications processed during the years 1925 to 1941.
This collection consists of applications for headstones (over 290,000) received and processed by the Cemeterial/Memorial Division (NARA publication M1916). The records are part of the Record Group 92 Records of the Quartermaster General. Most of the applications are for the Civil War and later, some may apply to earlier wars. Approximately 10% of the forms will have two images. The applications are arranged in alphabetical order by surname, then first name.
Applications include all or part of the following:
- Date of death
- Name of cemetery with city and state of location
- Name of person making application and address
Additional information from a later revision of the form includes:
- Dates of enlistment and discharge
- Veteran's pension number
- Serial number
How to Use the Record
Why this Record Was Created
This section of the article is incomplete. You can help FamilySearch Wiki by supplying links to related web sites here.
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
When you copy information from a record, you should also list where you found the information. This will help you or others to find the record again. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records.
A suggested format for citing FamilySearch Historical Collections, including how to cite individual archives is found in the following link: How to Cite FamilySearch Collections
Examples of Source Citations for a Record in This Collection
- United States. Bureau of the Census. 12th census, 1900, digital images, From FamilySearch Internet (www.familysearch.org: September 29, 2006), Arizona Territory, Maricopa, Township 1, East Gila, Salt River Base and Meridian; sheet 9B, line 71
- Mexico, Distrito Federal, Catholic Church Records, 1886-1933, digital images, from FamilySearch Internet (www.familysearch.org: April 22, 2010), Baptism of Adolfo Fernandez Jimenez, 1 Feb. 1910, San Pedro Apóstol, Cuahimalpa, Distrito Federal, Mexico, film number 0227023
Sources of Information for This Collection
United States. Quartermaster General. Applications for Headstones for U.S. Military Veterans, 1925-1941. Record Group 92, NARA publication M1916. United States. Federal Archives and Records Center. Washington D.C.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback