United States, Confederate Officers Card Index (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: United States, Confederate Officers Card Index, 1861-1865 .
This collection consists of images of index cards of Confederate officers acquired from the Military Order of the Stars and Bars.
For a list of records currently published in this collection, select the Browse.
Information varies between individual records. They may include:
- Name of serviceman
- Name of company
- Dates of service
- Death information in killed in action
How to Use the Record
To begin your search it is helpful to know the name of your ancestor and some other identifying information such as dates of military service.
Search the Collection
To search the collection you will need to follow this series of links:
⇒Select the "Browse" link in the initial search page
⇒Select the "Surname range " which takes you to the images
Look at the images one by one comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine if the image relates to them. You may need to look at several images and compare the information about the individuals listed in those images to your ancestors to make this determination. Keep in mind:
- These records are brief so it is easy to confuse individuals.
- As with any index, there may be transcription errors.
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name.
- There may be multiple cards for an individual.
- You may not be sure of your own ancestor’s name.
- Your ancestor may have used different names or variations of their name throughout their life.
Using the Information
When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. Save a copy of the image or transcribe the information. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details and leads to other records about your ancestors. Add this new information to your records of each family.
Remember this is only an index. The information found here may lead you to additional informaion in the collection available at the Mid-continent Public Library in Independence, Missouri.
Related Wiki Articles
Related Web Sites
Contributions to This Article
Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
Citations for individual image records are available for this collection. Browse through images in this collection and click on the "Show Citation" box: United States Confederate Officers Card Index, 1861-1865
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Record collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher and archive for the original records.
- "United States, Confederate Officers Card Index, 1861-1865." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013. Citing Military Order of the Stars and Bars, Midwest Continent Library, Independence, Missouri.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback