Draper Manuscript CollectionEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The United States Draper Manuscript Series is not available online at FamilySearch. Original images can be viewed or ordered through the following means.
• These collections are housed at the Wisconsin State Archives Wisconsin Historical Society, and at the Pickler Memorial Library
• Microfilms are available for viewing at a FamilySearch Center. For a list of the contents of this collection by film number, see the United States, Draper Manuscript Series Coverage Table.
For information on ordering films see: Ordering Microfilm or Microfiche.
This collection consists of nearly 500 volumes of manuscripts, papers, and books collected by Lyman Copeland Draper about the history of the trans-Allegheny West, a region including the western areas of the Carolinas and Virginia, all the Ohio River Valley, and part of the upper Mississippi Valley from the 1740s to 1830. The collection is divided into 50 series. Some series are titled by geographic area, some by the names of prominent frontier leaders, and some by topic. The bulk of the collection consists of notes from interviews, questionnaires, and letters gathered during Draper’s extensive travels and research to learn about frontier history.
Key facts found in this collection vary from record to record. They may include:
- Birth, marriage, or death dates and places
- Names of parents or other family members
- Life sketches
- Names of neighbors
- Notes of envolvement in historical events
Additional Information About This Collection
The following books have been published about this collection.
- Thwaites, Reuben Gold. Frontier Defense on the Upper Ohio, 1776-1778. Family History Library Film Number 1320772 Item 1
- Bennett, Edward Earl. Calendar of the Tennessee and King's Mountain papers of
the Draper collections of manuscripts, Vol. 3. Available on Ancestry.com
- Weaks, Mabel Clare. The Preston and Virginia papers of the Draper collection of manuscripts. Available at the Internet Archives
- Weaks, Mabel Clare. Calendar of the Kentucky papers of the Draper collection of manuscripts. Available on Ancestry.com
- Clark, George Rogers. George Rogers Clark papers, 1771-1784. Available at the Internet Archives
- Wisconsin Historical Society
- Draper Manuscripts: King's Mountain Papers, 1756-1887
- Pickler Memorial Library