United States, Old War Pension Index (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records scheduled to become available at FamilySearch.org.|
The collection consists of a card index to pension files located at the National Archives for service in the Regular Army, Navy or Marine Corps between 1783 and 1861. This collection is part of RG 15 Records of the Veterans Administration and is NARA microfilm publications T316.
The index cards ask for the following information, but the information listed varies:
- Name and class of dependentsw
- Branch of service
- Enlistment date
- Discharge date
- Additional service information
- Date of filing
- Application filing number
- Certificate number
- File number
- Bounty land information
- Other remarks
How to Use the Record
- National Archives Access to Military Service and Pension Records
- Family Link Military Records Search
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
When you copy information from a record, you should also list where you found the information. This will help you or others to find the record again. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records.
A suggested format for keeping track of records that you have searched is found in the wiki article Help:How to Cite FamilySearch Collections.
Examples of Source Citations for a Record Found in This Collection
- “Delaware Marriage Records,” index and images, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org: accessed 4 March 2011), entry for William Anderson and Elizabeth Baynard Henry, married 23 November 1913; citing marriage certificate no. 859; FHL microfilm 2,025,063; Delaware Bureau of Archives and Records Management, Dover.
- “El Salvador Civil Registration,” index and images, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org: accessed 21 March 2011), entry for Jose Maria Antonio del Carmen, born 9 April 1880; citing La Libertad, San Juan Opico, Nacimientos 1879-1893, image 50; Ministerio Archivo Civil de la Alcaldia Municipal de San Salvador.
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the data and images published on FamilySearch.org Historical Records. It may include the author, custodian, publisher, and archive for the original records.
"United States, Old War Pension Index, 1815-1926." FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org). NARA microfilm publication T316, RG 15 Records of the Veterans Administration. National Archives and Records Administration, Washington D.C. FHL microfilm, 7 reels. Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
The suggested format for citing FamilySearch Historical Collections is found in the wiki article Help:How to Create Source Citations For FamilySearch Historical Records Collections.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More