United States Census 1800Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Additional information may be found on the United States Census Portal page.
1800 Census was taken beginning 4 Aug 1800 for 9 months. The following information was recorded by the census taker:
Free white males under 10
Males 45 and over
Free white females under 10
Females 45 and over
Others free except Indian
Distinguish target family from others of same name
Help determine family size
Locate possible relatives with same name
Identify name variations
Free men of color listed as head of household
Slaves in age group by name of owner
Unique Features and Problems
- Age brackets were split up into 5 categories
- No printed form or paper provided
- Some lists were rearranged to place names in alphabetical order (will be unable to tell neighbors.
- Only number of slaves accounted for, not ages.
- Indians that were not taxed were not included.
- Maine (part of Massachusetts)
- Maryland (inc. District of Columbia)
- New Hampshire
- New York
- North Carolina
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- New Jersey
- Virginia (inc. West Virginia)
(May have some type of substitute list or an area covering a county)