Upwey, Dorset GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
UPWAY, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Weymouth district, Dorset. The village stands near the Weymouth railway, 4 miles SSW of Dorchester. The parish includes Elwell hamlet. There is an Independent chapel.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241339.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Dorset Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ UPWAY, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Weymouth district, Dorset. The village stands near the Weymouth railway, 4 miles SSW of Dorchester; and has a post-office‡ under Dorchester.—The parish includes Elwell hamlet, and comprises 1,785 acres. Rated property, £3,017. Pop., 646. Houses, 154. The property is divided among four. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £269.* Patron, the Bishop of S. The church is good; and there are an Independent chapel and a national school.—The sub-district contains 9 parishes and an extra-parochial tract. Acres, 15,510. Pop., 3,969. Houses, 842.
- ↑ Dorset, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Partially indexed.
- ↑ Dorset, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Partially indexed.
- ↑ Dorset, England, Marriages and Banns, 1813-1921, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Partially indexed.
- ↑ Dorset, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-2001, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Partially indexed.
- ↑ 'Vital Records Index - British Isles - Collection List,' British Isles Vital Records Index, 2nd ed., hosted at Genoot, accessed 14 April 2012.
- ↑ 'Dorset Marriages,' Find My Past, accessed 28 July 2012.
- ↑ 'Search Marriage Records in Dorset,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 4 July 2012.