User:AdkinsWH/Sandbox LDS StakesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This is task Phase 1a for LDS Church Records in Utah
The purpose of this task is to make it easier for users to learn about the Utah wards or branches their ancestors attended. This Phase 1a focuses on the Utah stakes and the wards and branches within them.
When you have finished this task, users will see the boundaries of the stake, the wards and branches within it, and will be able to link directly to the FamilySearch Library Catalog for the records of that stake. It will be a VERY helpful resource to people with LDS ancestors in Utah.
The task itself is to copy and adapt the pattern (found on the Discussion page) to LDS stakes. Details of stake boundaries will be added, with links to adjoining stakes and a list of wards and branches within the stake.
First focus is on early and important areas: Cache, Davis, Salt Lake, Utah, Washington, and Weber Counties. Once the stakes are done for these areas, we will move to the rest of the state.
The history timeline will be completed for stake pages, especially for the date of organization and the stake(s) is was formed from.
|It is easiest to have several windows or tabs open: one for this task page, one for the county page, one for the stake page, and both sites for Encyclopedic History (BYU and AncestryInstitution.com).|
Examples of stake pages
Have practiced with stake boundaries, wards and branches, AND timeline on the following:
- Beaver Stake, Utah
- Bear River Stake, Utah LDS Church Wards and Branches|Bear River Stake, Utah
- Benson Stake, Utah
- Liberty Stake, Utah
Step 1. Identify a stake to add
- Pick a county that is not "Done" from the county list.
- Click a red link to a stake on the LDS chart
- OR click on each place on the county chart until you find one in a "red link" stake.
- When all places are checked and all stakes have blue links, please type "Done" after the county name below and go to another county.
Step 2. Copy and adapt the stake pattern
C) Type the stake name in the table, with it's link as follows:
- [[Bear River Stake, Utah LDS Church Wards and Boundaries|Bear River Stake]]
(Wilma: put the template at the end of the above link)
A) Click the Discussion tab
B) Click the "Edit This Page" button.
C) Select Wikitext
D) Highlight all (Ctrl+A) and copy (Ctrl+C)
E) Cancel edit
Step 2. Paste the pattern to a (pre-determined) empty page
In another tab or window, click to the county page.
A) On the county page, go to the Churches and Religious Groups topic
B) Click a red (inactive) link -- under the "Church of Jesus Christ..." heading
- It will tell you the page does not exist.
C) Edit in Wikitext and paste the pattern to that page
D) Fill in edit Summary box: "copied pattern" and Save page
Step 3. Adapt the Pattern
A) Breadcrumb trail:
- Change "Beaver" to the current county (2 instances in breadcrumb trail)
- Change "Frisco" to current town with comma
- Fill in edit Summary, "Breadcrumb", Save page
B) Get correct pages from Jenson's Encyclopedic History. Before you get into edit mode,
- Click on the link, search by place, scroll down to see page numbers
- Hint: slide down to the alphabet for the place, and check the page(s) with hits to see which one is the beginning page. Then determine which is the ending page.
- Get into edit WikiText again, and change the page numbers (p 5-6) to the pages for this place
C) Under "Obtain the Records":
- Change "Beaver, Frisco" to current county, place
D) Below "References"
- In Category, replace "Beaver" with current county
- Type in the edit Summary box: "adapted to town" and Save page