User:Carolbmoss/Sandbox:Recipe 2Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
County History Genealogy Resource
In United States research, County Histories can provide clues to your family that cannot be found anywhere else.
Step 1: Go to Internet Archives website (free) [www.archive.org] and
- Search for a “History of [the county,state you are focused on] ”
- Click on "all media search"
- Select and click on a book from the "Search Results"
- Click on the PDF version in the left menu to load the book.
- Use Ctrl+F to search for the family name you are working on.
- Continue to click the right arrow of the “Find” box to see all entries throughout the book
Step 2: Verify any findings of additional family members in the U.S. Censuses. Start with the census after the marriage of the parents.
- Be sure and look at the original census document when possible.
- Look at all consecutive censuses that apply to your ancestor.
- Click on the links below to search the record group:
To learn more about County Histories, see the following lesson in the FamilySearch Learning Center:
“County Histories and Your Family” by Janice Schultz, MLS
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More