User:McAfeeCKEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Christopher is a bookbinder, book artist, and a book and paper conservator who is experienced with archival materials, examinations, and treatments. He is skilled in a broad range of bookbinding and conservation techniques and knowledgeable in several aspects of preservation. He began his career when a leaky water heater caused several of his personal memorabilia being water-damaged. This led Chris to pursue a career in conservation with the idea that he could not only better preserve his own records but help others do the same.
- Senior Conservator, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Family and Church History Department, March 2001 to present
- Book Conservator, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University,
- Provo, Utah, June 1995 to February 2001
- Bookbinding Instructor, Brigham Young University Art Department, Provo, Utah, January 1996 to May 2001
- Book Arts Instructor, University of Utah Marriott Library Book Arts Program, Salt Lake City, Utah, August 1999 to present
- Bachelor of Fine Arts in Printmaking, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah, August 1993
- Master of Fine Arts in Book Arts, The University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, Alabama, August 1995
- Internship in Book Conservation, Cincinnati Medical Heritage Center, Cincinnati, Ohio, May-June 1994
- Member of the American Institute for Conservation, January 1996 to January 1998, January 2000 to present
- Member of the Guild of Book Workers, October 1994 to present
- Guild of Book Workers Standards of Excellence Chair, November 2006 to present
LECTURES, PUBLICATIONS, ETC.
- CASED MICROCLIMATES: AN ALTERNATIVE TO THE CLAMSHELL BOX, Guild of book Workers Newsletter, June 1998.
- DAZZLING BOOK DISPLAYS ON A BUDGET with Pamela Barrios at the Utah Library Association conference. May 13, 1999
- THE ROOT CELLAR IS NOT THE PLACE TO KEEP YOUR ROOTS at the UGA Family History Conference. April 2002
- THE DRAMA, THE DREAMS, THE REALITY: WAKE FROM YOUR PRESERVATION NIGHTMARE at the UGA Family History Conference. April 2003.
- PRESERVING FAMILY HERITAGE, an interview on the KBYU television series, Questions & Ancestors. 2006.
- Preservation Lecture for ARMA International, Taylorsville Utah City Hall. 16 November 2006.
- KEEPING RECORDS AND HOW TO KEEP THEM, a lecture at the BYU Marriott Library Special Collections. 3 October 2007
- POSH PORTFOLIOS AND CLASSY CLAMSHELLS WORKSHOP at the University of Utah Marriott Library Book Arts Studio. October 25, 2008
- FROM SHOE BOX TO ARCHIVE: PRESERVING PERSONAL RECORDS THROUGH ORGANIZATION, Church History Library Lecture, 10 September 2009
- KEEPING RECORDS AND HOW TO KEEP THEM, a lecture at the Ogden Family History Conference, 12 September 2009
- CLICK, RIP, PRINT, OR BURN? HOW CAN I PRESERVE MY DIGITAL RECORDS?, Church History Library Lecture, 10 December 2009
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback