User:National Institute sandbox 22YEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The original content for this article was contributed by The National Institute for Genealogical Studies in June 2012. It is an excerpt from their course US: Newspaper Records by Rhonda McClure. The Institute offers over 200 comprehensive genealogy courses for a fee ($).
Bibliography of Finding Aids
- Barnes, Timothy M. “Loyalist Newspapers of the American Revolution, 1763–1783; a Bibliography.” Proceedings of the American Antiquarian Society 83 (1973): 217–83.
- Brigham, Clarence S. History and Bibliography of American Newspapers, 1690–1820. 2 vols. Worcester, Mass.: American Antiquarian Society, 1947. Brigham’s “Additions and Corrections to History and Bibliography of American Newspapers” appeared in the Proceedings of the American Antiquarian Society 72 (1971): 15–62.
- Center For Research Libraries. The Center For Research Libraries Catalogue: Newspapers. 2nd ed. Chicago: the center, 1978.
- Chicago Historical Society. A Checklist of the Kellogg Collection of “Patent Inside” Newspapers of 1876. Chicago: Historical Records Survey, 1939.
- Gregory, Winifred.American Newspapers, 1821–1936: A Union List of Files Available in the United States and Canada. 1937. Reprint. New York: Kraus, 1967. Clarke, Avis G.An Alphabetical Index to the Titles in American Newspapers. . ..Oxford, Mass: 1958. Clarke is particularly useful when the title of a paper, but not the place of publication, is known.
- Griswold, Ada Tyng. Annotated Catalogue of Newspaper Files in the Library of the State Historical Society of Wisconsin. 2nd ed. Madison: State Historical Society of Wisconsin, 1911. Supplementary Catalogue of Newspaper Files in the Wisconsin Historical Library Listing the Papers Acquired During the Years 1911–1917, by Lillian J. Beecroft and Marguerite Jenison, was published by the Society in 1918 as its Bulletin of Information No. 93.
- Guide to Microforms in Print (annual), 1961–. Munich: K.G. Saur. Cumulative annual catalog of microform titles, including newspapers.
- Haskell, Daniel C. Checklist of Newspapers and Official Gazettes in the New York Public Library. New York: New York Public Library, 1915. Reprinted from NYPL Bulletin, July–December 1914.
- Hoornstra, Jean, and Trudy Heath. American Periodicals, 1741–1900: An Index to the Microfilm Collections—American Periodicals 18th Century, American Periodicals, 1800–1850, American Periodicals, 1850–1900, Civil War and Reconstruction. Ann Arbor, Mich.: University Microfilms International, 1979.
- Kellerman, Lydia Suzanne. Index to Readex Microopaque Collections of Early American Newspapers. Harrisburg, Pa.: State Library of Pennsylvania, 1990.
- Lathem, Edward Connery. Chronological Tables of American Newspapers, 1690–1820; Being a Tabular Guide to Holdings of Newspapers Published in America Through the Year 1820. Worcester, Mass.: American Antiquarian Society, 1972.
- New York Metropolitan Reference and Research Library Agency. Union List of Selected Microforms in Libraries in the New York Metropolitan Area. 3rd ed. New York: the agency, 1980.
- Newspapers in the State Historical Society of Wisconsin: A Bibliography With Holdings. New York: Norman Ross Pub., 1993.
- Parch, Grace D., ed. Directory of Newspaper Libraries in the U.S. and Canada. New York: Special Libraries Association, 1976.
- Serials and Newspapers in Microform (annual). Ann Arbor, Mich.: University Microforms International. Annual catalog of microfilmed newspapers available for sale.
- Union List of Serials in Libraries of the United States and Canada. 3rd ed. 5 vols. New York: H. W. Wilson, 1965. Although it excludes general-interest newspapers, the Union List of Serials does include listings for many religious and special-interest publications that appeared in newspaper [p.427] format and often contained obituaries and other materials of interest to the genealogical researcher.
- U.S. Library of Congress. Catalog Management and Publication Division. Newspapers in Microform: United States, 1848–1983. 2 vols. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, 1984.
- United States Newspaper Program National Union List. 4th ed. Dublin, Ohio: OCLC, 1993. Microfiche.
- University of Chicago. Newspapers in Libraries of Chicago, a Joint Check List. Chicago: University of Chicago Libraries, Document Section, 1936.
Information in this Wiki page is excerpted from the online course US: Newspaper Records offered by The National Institute for Genealogical Studies. To learn more about this course or other courses available from the Institute, see our website. We can be contacted at email@example.com
We welcome updates and additions to this Wiki page.
- This page was last modified on 15 September 2014, at 23:57.
- This page has been accessed 218 times.