User:Tbreynaud/sandbox5Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Many Hands Make Light Work...
In a few very short years the FamilySearch Wiki has become one of the premiere genealogical research information websites. For the Wiki to continue to grow we need your help.
Everyone knows at least a little bit about something or someplace. The information you contribute could be exactly what someone else needs to connect with or add to their family history.
If you would like to add what you know about a particular place click on the state you are interested in on the map below. You will be taken to that State's wiki page where you can add your information.
Fill out this form to get started as a Wiki Volunteer and let us know what you're interested in helping with.
Here are some projects that a volunteer can work on with minimal training. Contact Marilyn Markham at the Family History Library (801.240.3380) for training.
- Add information to your county and/or city pages.
- Prepare county histories - county section of each state.
- Repositories - what's in a repository of genealogical interest ... U.S. Canada.
- Outside company providing content ... we are putting in the wiki for formatting.
- Write about Migration Trails - Which Counties and Towns they went through in both the U.S. & Canada.
Ongoing Projects - Move to Help Wanted
Maintaining Existing Pages - Move to Main Help Wanted Page
Other Help Wanted - Move to Help Wanted
The Country pages, the state and provenience pages, and the county and parish pages need you! To learn more about help needed in specific countries, enter the words 'help wanted' in the search box and click on the country you have an interest in. At the bottom of most of these pages is a section containing instructions and information on what is needed for that particular area.
In addition to that, here are some simple ways you can add information other researchers need!
- Add links to the David Rumsey Map Collection for the state or county in question. For an example, see the Pennsylvania.
- Add each state or county's creation date and parent states/counties. This information can be found using the Place Search in the Family History Library Catalog.
- Add links to digitized state and county histories. A large collection of such histories is Brigham Young University's Family History Archives. A shortcut to searching it for local histories is on the BYU-FHL Digital Books Collection page.
- The Research Wiki is also available in ten other languages. You can help by translating pages into one of the other languages.
- A moderator is needed to work with and support contributors in (State). Would you like to help as a moderator?
Other Help Wanted Projects
- If there are other areas of the FamilySearch Wiki you would like to volunteer for, we have a Wiki Help Wanted page that lists additional projects and areas where help is needed.