User:Tbreynaud/sandbox5Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Many Hands Make Light Work...
In a few very short years the FamilySearch Wiki has become one of the premier genealogical research information websites. For the Wiki to continue to grow we need your help.
Everyone knows at least a little bit about a genealogy relate topic or location. The information you contribute could be exactly what someone else needs to connect with or add to their family history.
Phase 1 - U.S. State Articles
The first area of focus for the Volunteer Project is U.S. States and territories. The project will soon expand to countries worldwide.
If you would like to add what you know about a particular place click on the state you are interested in on the map below. You will be taken to that State's wiki page where you can add your information.
Get StartedTo get started, we need to know a little about you, your interests and genealogy or research experience. Please fill out the Volunteer form and we will contact you. Work on state articles will typically be under the direction of the moderator for that state. We will arrange your introduction to them.
In the meantime, create a FamilySearch account if you don't have one. Set your account preferences and create your user page.
- Create a FamilySearch Account
- Set your preferences
- Create your wiki user page | Example One | Example Two | Example Three
- Add the Volunteer Userbox to your user page
Projects Needing Help
Outside of State and Country Projects, the projects below involve work that a volunteer can work on with minimal training:
- Add information to your county and/or city pages.
- Prepare county histories - county section of each state.
- Repositories - what's in a repository of genealogical interest ... U.S. Canada.
- Outside company providing content ... we are putting in the wiki for formatting.
- Write about Migration Trails - Which Counties and Towns they went through in both the U.S. & Canada.
- Write articles for links that are in red.
- Write articles of little known research methods for various parts of the world.
- Need Moderators to run projects for places around the world
- Join our support team.
- Wiki Projects seeking contributors
- Wiki Cleanup Projects
- Add Categories to articles
In addition to these projects, additional projects that volunteers can easily do are listed below:
- Add links to the David Rumsey Map Collection for the state or county in question. For an example, see the Pennsylvania.
- Add each state or county's creation date and parent states/counties. This information can be found using the Place Search in the Family History Library Catalog.
- Add links to digitized state and county histories. A large collection of such histories is Brigham Young University's Family History Archives. A shortcut to searching it for local histories is on the BYU-FHL Digital Books Collection page.
- The Research Wiki is also available in ten other languages. You can help by translating pages into one of the other languages.
- A moderator is needed to work with and support contributors in (State). Would you like to help as a moderator?
Other Help Wanted Projects
- If there are other areas of the FamilySearch Wiki of interest to you, the Wiki Help Wanted page lists additional projects and areas needing help.
"How To" Reference Articles
We want your opinion!
Give feedback on two US state pages by clicking on the purple button belowClick Here