User group meeting agenda & minutes 11 June 2008

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
Line 59: Line 59:
  
 
== Attendees  ==
 
== Attendees  ==
 +
Jimmy Parker, Darris Williams, Fran Jensen, Mollie Forbes, Anne Roach, Steven _, David Samuelsen, Don Stringham,
  
 
== Items Discussed  ==
 
== Items Discussed  ==
Line 75: Line 76:
 
*Make announcements about the wiki at the BYU genealogy conference in August.
 
*Make announcements about the wiki at the BYU genealogy conference in August.
 
*Offer to teach classes about the wiki at local meetings and conferences.
 
*Offer to teach classes about the wiki at local meetings and conferences.
 +
 +
'''Articles Needed Page'''
 +
  
 
== Action Items  ==
 
== Action Items  ==
 
*Add information items to share in upcoming user group meetings.
 
*Add information items to share in upcoming user group meetings.
 
*
 
*

Revision as of 20:09, 11 June 2008

Contents

Proposing ideas for this agenda

To propose or discuss ideas for this agenda, please use the Discussion tab above. As the meeting draws near, we will review the items proposed on the Discussions page and decide which ones should get highest priority on the agenda.

Agenda

Administrative items

  1. Prayer
  2. Assignment of time keeper and note taker
  3. Introduction of new members: 10 seconds for name and desired takeaways.
  4. Review of Minutes
  5. Today's agenda preview


Information items


Discussion items

Carryover from Last Week

  • Encouraging new contributors -- Darris Williams
  • "Articles Needed" Page: Is the timing right to do this? -- James Anderson
  • Moderators, etc.

This item is from one of the May meetings:

  1. What should we be doing to help with user needs?
    1. Cleanup states (Categories?)
    2. Add links, cleanup old research outlines, update links to "this section of the outline" (Research outlines)
    3. Involve genealogical societies in cleanup?
    4. Each portal has a things you can do box. This needs to be updated! Do we need to change the placement of the box on the portal page? Move it towards the top?
    5. Have state, country, county coordinators. Could we advertize this need on a portal page? Coordinators should have genealogical experience? Have a way to give feedback on coordinators/moderators so those that are not effective can be evaluated and changed as needed.
  2. Volunteers for moderators
Jimmy Parker: Idaho, Indians of North America
Lisa McBride: Tennessee
Darris: Wales
David Samuelsen: New York, Oregon, Luxembourg, Germany
Baerbel Johnson: Germany


New Items

  • Criteria for posting 'Useful Websites' in wiki pages? -- Phill Dunn


Minutes

Facilitator was Jimmy Parker, Note taker was Fran Jensen, Time keeper was Mollie Forbes.

Prayer by [Add name here]

Attendees

Jimmy Parker, Darris Williams, Fran Jensen, Mollie Forbes, Anne Roach, Steven _, David Samuelsen, Don Stringham,

Items Discussed

Ideas to encourage new contributors

  • Focus on a specific area of research.
  • Work with a group of people in an ongoing way, with at least semi-frequent contacts.
  • Look at who is contributing content to the area you are interested in? Contact them, encourage them with what they are working on now in the wiki.
  • Start a dialog with current contributors to the wiki. Can use the option to send an email through the link available on an article they created or edited.
  • Create a link on the patron desktop at the Family History Library to the Wiki.
  • In the industry it's known that 1% of the users will actually become contributors, so increasing our contributor base would naturally help grow the number of contributors.
  • Create a link on FamilySearch.org that goes directly to the Wiki.
  • Send information about the Wiki to the Family History Centers.
  • Is the content robust enough to invite the general public into the Wiki? In some areas it is, but in other areas we are short on content. Do we work on developing the content before we invite people in? Or, do we invite people in so that they can help improve the content?
  • If we get as many people in as we can now, we can start to get material in the wiki where it's lacking right now.
  • Click on the "Watch" tab at the top of the articles you are interested in. When someone begins adding content to those pages, be sure to contact them, encourage them and help them with the process of adding more content.
  • Make announcements about the wiki at the BYU genealogy conference in August.
  • Offer to teach classes about the wiki at local meetings and conferences.

Articles Needed Page


Action Items

  • Add information items to share in upcoming user group meetings.