User talk:ForbesMMEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This is my talk page.
just adding a comment Molliewog 10:40, 17 December 2007 (MST)
Pages other than English
I noticed that you had removed a page because it was not written in English, which I also understand is the direction we're taking.
With this in mind, should the following pages also be deleted?
Kip 09:48, 10 January 2008 (MST)
This discussion was moved to the England discussion page. Rdhill 17:06, 19 March 2008 (MDT)
Good catch on glitched page creations.
Saw the deletions that were made, for whatever reason the system seems to be adding some code into the title bar of the pages you had to remove because of the bad syntax. I don't have an answer but the catch on this was a good one.
JamesAnderson 00:51, 17 April 2008 (MDT)
Sorry but the correct name for the county is 'Glamorgan' and not 'Glamorganshire' (this is a common misconception). See: GenUKI
Bromaelor 17:51, 20 May 2008 (GMT)
Could you please delete the pages:
Wales Poor Law Unions (it has been split into individual county pages)
- UPDATE: It was necessary to reverse this as the topic is on the default menus! bromaelor 12:20, 20 November 2008 (UTC)
Surnames in Wales (it has been merged with a similar page)
Thanks. bromaelor 12:24, 30 August 2008 (UTC)
- Done! Molliewog 15:19, 1 September 2008 (UTC)
- No, we are unable to use images with copyright notices. They must be in accordance to the creative commons license. I have deleted these images. Thanks for bringing this to my attention! Molliewog 16:14, 24 September 2008 (UTC)
I can make a direct external link from the fswiki to the fhl using:
I would like to make a similar direct link to a specific batch on the IGI. Is this possible??? For example:
"http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=igi/search_IGI.asp&clear_form=true" and then specify "region=british isles" and "batch=C090161".
If it's possible could you give me the full syntax? bromaelor 12:27, 20 November 2008 (UTC)
- I don't know if this is possible. I don't know of a way to get a permanent url for a FamilySearch search. Molliewog 21:43, 2 December 2008 (UTC)
- Thanks. Someone has come up with the answer. bromaelor 19:33, 3 December 2008 (UTC)
Is there a moderator with responsibility for checking on newly submitted articles?
I think the following need looking at:
- I don't believe we have any process at this time, though I agree insufficient article titling is an issue. Currently, we have missionaries patrolling new articles for content. It may be possible to include checking titles with the patrol duties. I'll bring it up with the team. Molliewog 15:31, 21 January 2009 (UTC)
- I have taken action to rename these articles and to mark the subsequent redirects for deletion. --CottrellS 09:50, 10 July 2009 (UTC)
Mollie, Can you advise me how to add Texas State maps with counties, so that I can add them to the Texas portal pages for each county. Marianne 22:37, 2 February 2009 (UTC)
- Hi Marianne, I'm not exactly sure what you are asking. Maps are treated as images. If you want information on how to upload an image, go to Upload a file or image. You will find information on how to add images into articles on this page: Insert an uploaded image in an article Soon, we will have the ability to have clickable maps in the wiki. I have already created a map for Texas where you can click on the county and go to that county page. Let me know if you have further questions! Molliewog 16:51, 5 February 2009 (UTC)
Recent IP address block
Unfortunately my Service Provider also uses addresses in the range. So now I'm blocked!! bromaelor 17:42, 12 February 2009 (UTC)
- I now appear to be unblocked and am now able to use the wiki again bromaelor 18:05, 12 February 2009 (UTC)
- I tried to block a spammer's IP this morning. Turns out that I can't block by IP due to our redline/firewall. I blocked everyone! Yes, the problem should now be resolved. Molliewog 18:13, 12 February 2009 (UTC)
Ireland Image Map
I like the map but unfortunately it contains two spelling errors!
- Armagh (not Armaugh)
- Fermanagh (not Fermanaugh)
I've adjusted the map's coding so that user's are linked to the correct page, but the map will need adjustment. bromaelor 13:47, 19 February 2009 (UTC)
- sorry about that. I created the map during a meeting yesterday. I'll fix it today :) Molliewog 14:54, 19 February 2009 (UTC)
- Excellent! How do you feel about the background colour of the map??? I think it's a bit overpowering? How about white? How did you create this map? bromaelor 15:33, 19 February 2009 (UTC)
OK, changed the background. How is the white? I created the map using the ImageMap Extension that we just added to the wiki. It's not the most user friendly extension, but I don't think you would have any problems using it if you would like to start creating maps for Wales, etc. I have started to create a page on how to use the extension, but have not finished the instructions. One thing that I have yet to include in the instructions, is the necessity to create a template for the image map code. FCK editor breaks the image maps. If you put the image map into a template and then add the template to a page, FCK will leave it alone. I have created a category for all of the image maps. The colors come from the palette of our new Family Tree site. The colors I use are:
- Green: BDC8A1
- Yellow: FFEBB5
- Pink: DAABDC
- Light gray: B1B1B1
- Dark gray: 8F8F8F
- Blue: 919DBD
Several of the maps I have created have not been edited with color. Ireland, United States, and Utah are the only maps with color. The England map I used came colored, so it uses a different palette. I have been using the program GIMP to edit the images before uploading. Let me know if you have any other questions! Molliewog 15:51, 19 February 2009 (UTC)
- I think that white is much better? I'll take a look at this process as I think it could be quite powerful. bromaelor 16:03, 19 February 2009 (UTC)
Where should wikiproject contributors communicate?
People who work on writing projects on the wiki are asking for an online venue they can use to talk about...
- how to organize projects,
- how and where to recruit contributors
- how to motivate project members
- how to track progress on projects
- Manual of Style issues that we need to settle to avoid rework
- ...and other stuff.
Could you go to the wiki feedback forum and give your opinion as to what tool(s) we should choose to communicate? The thread where we will discuss this is Which tools for wikiproject contributors to communicate? Ritcheymt 16:24, 16 October 2009 (UTC)
Please vote on new name for Reviewer role
The wiki community is voting on a proposed renaming of the Reviewer role so that we can give the role to anyone we trust to upload their own images without review. If you care about the name of this role, please discuss the issue and cast your vote at FamilySearch Wiki talk:Reviewer. Ritcheymt 16:47, 2 November 2009 (UTC)
Call for Feedback Re: Making Wiki Easier for New Users/Contributors
We need your feedback! Our goal is for wiki.familysearch.org to be a friendly, welcoming place that is easy for you to use and make contributions. Please share your comments. What is your experience? What challenges do you face in using and contributing to the wiki? Where do you find help? When you notice problems, please go to Challenges Facing New Users. This is the page for making comments on challenges you have encountered.
Please post your comments and ideas for the solutions at What New Users and Contributors Want to Make Wiki Easier. Then, come add your "Vote" for those solutions that are most urgent and important for the entire community at Newbies Priorities. This is not only for newbies, we also need experienced user/contributor feedback on your early, new user experiences. Thank you!
Kara aka CK Whipple 16:35, 5 November 2009 (UTC)
Some users have reported that the red color of the article title links in search results are confusing because in a Mediawiki site, a red link means a link to a page that has no content. There is a poll on the forums as to whether to make the links blue instead, which would also conform to what Google and Bing do. Please read the thread/explanation and vote. RitcheyMT 16:26, 24 January 2010 (UTC)
To all FamilySearch Wiki Contributors: An apology is in order...
By way of introduction, my name is Ben Bennett and I’ve recently joined the FamilySearch team as the product manager for the Wiki and Forums. Put simply, my job is to ensure that your experience, as contributors and users of the Wiki and Forums is excellent. To this end, an apology is in order.
As you know, we recently implemented a new user ID/sign in process for the FamilySearch Wiki. As we implemented this new system, I personally heard from many of you. You shared with me problems that were occurring for you as you tried to sign in, edit or do other things that resulted in lost work, lost time and frustration for you, our key contributors and users. Please accept my sincere apology for the poor performance and poor experience associated with the Wiki during the past few weeks. Please also accept my commitment that the FamilySearch team will learn from this experience and do all that we can to prevent situations like this in the future. To this end, I wanted to share with you ...CONTINUE