Utah SocietiesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Societies generate genealogies, biographies, histories, and indexes of local records. They may publish periodicals, lists of members and ancestors, yearbooks, or surname indexes. Utah has many societies and associations interested in genealogical research and preserving history and records of Utah. Other groups are lineage societies for descendants of pioneers, soldiers, and ethnic groups.
Lineage and Hereditary Societies
The following are major lineage and genealogical societies in Utah.
- The Daughters of Utah Pioneers maintains a museum with pioneer memorabilia, library of family histories, and many pictures and photographs. Yearly they publish a volume about the history of Utah including histories of pioneers of Utah. The list of publications are in Utah Biographies.
- The following two indexes are available on their internet site. You can type in your ancestor's last name. A list with the full name including maiden names, birth date and death date will be given. You may then request a copy of either the history or the photograph for a minimal cost.
- The Sons of Utah Pioneers maintains a library with histories, research books, compact discs, and family group sheets. A database of pioneers with biographical information is available and the society keeps files on the Mormon Battalion.
- They publish the magazine, Pioneer. Salt Lake City, Utah: National Society of the Sons of Utah Pioneers, 1953–. At various libraries (WorldCat) FHL film 824069; book 979.2 H25p
Sons of the American Revolution
Some societies have published lists of members. These rosters may give genealogical and biographical information. One example for the Sons of the American Revolution is:
Ward, William R. Utah Society, Sons of the American Revolution, Roster of Members, 1895–1992. Salt Lake City, Utah: Utah Society, Sons of the American Revolution, 1992. (Family History Library book 979.2 C4uw.) This book lists the names of members and their patriot ancestors. Also, biographies are included for most members giving birth information, parents, spouse, and children.
Genealogical and Historical Societies and Organizations
Finding other local societies and their records
Some counties and towns in Utah also have local historical and genealogical societies. You can find local society addresses by using directories cited in United States Societies page.
Records, publications, and biographies of members from the different groups are found in the Place Search of the Family History Library Catalog under:
- UTAH - SOCIETIES
- UTAH - GENEALOGY - SOCIETIES
Society pages and the Society adopt-a-page option
- Societies can have their own page in the wiki devoted specifically to their organization. See the Help article: "creating a society page" for more details
- Societies are encouraged to adopt-a-wiki-page related to their own content expertise. See the Help article for more details about the opportunity to adopt a wiki page.