Van Buren County, Michigan GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Van Buren County Courthouse
212 E Paw Paw St.
Paw Paw, MI 49079-1492
Phone: (616) 657-8218
County Clerk has birth and death records from 1867,
marriage records from 1836, divorce and court records from 1837.
Probate Court has probate records.
Register of Deeds has land records. 
1829--Van Buren County was created 29 October 1829 from unorganized territory. It was attached to Cass and Lenaww Counties prior to organization 3 April 1837. County seat: Paw Paw 
Civil War service men from Van Buren County served in various regiments. Men often joined a regiment or a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are the military units that were formed in or had many men from Van Buren County.
- - 12th Regiment, Michigan Infantry, Company H
Southwest Michigan Obituary Index from the earliest date to 2000.
- Michigan Birth Registrations, 1867-1902 -- Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch Record Search. Records include such information as name of child, birthdate and place, if still-born, illegitimate or twin, gender, race and record number.
- Michigan Marriage Registrations, 1868-1925 -- Free name indexes at FamilySearch Record Search. Records include such information as names of bride and groom, date of license, ages, race, residences, birthplaces, occupations and names of the fathers of the bride and groom.
- Michigan Death Registrations, 1867-1897-- Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch Record Search. Records include such information as name of deceased, date and place of death, gender, color, marital status, age in years, months and days, disease or apparent cause of death, birthplace, names and occupations of parents, and the date the record was made.
Societies and Libraries
The following public libraries in Van Buren county have collections of particular interest to genealogists.
- Van Buren District Library
Webster Memorial Library Building
200 N. Phelps Street
Decatur, Michigan 49045
The Local History Collection houses books, periodicals, photographs, and records relating to Southwest Michigan and other localities. The room also houses the Southwest Michigan regional collection of the Van Buren Regional Genealogical Society (VBRGS). Telephone: (269) 423-4771
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Van Buren County, Michigan page 351, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ "Martin Van Buren," Wikipedia.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).