Vancouver Washington West Family History CenterEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
Welcome to the Vancouver Washington West Family History Center. We are located in the western part of the Salmon Creek area of Clark County, Washington and are ready to spend one-on-one time helping you with your family research, whether you are just starting out or just can't seem to find the next limb on you family tree. The Center is free to the general public.
Center Contacts and Hours
- 14400 NW 26 Ave. at NW Bliss Road, Vancouver, WA 98685 United States
- We are located on the west side of NW 26th Avenue just south of NW Bliss Road.
- Use the east entrance on the north side of the building.
- Ring the bell if the door is locked during the posted hours.
E-mail: WA_ VancouverWest@ldsmail.net (checked only occasionally)
Director:Thomas B. Higgins - Phone: 1-360-573-7729, 1-360-281-3953.
- Mon:1pm - 4pm
- Tues: 10am - 1pm 7pm - 9pm
- Wed: 7pm - 9pm
- Thurs: 10am to 1 pm 7pm - 9pm
- Holiday Schedule:
- Federal holidays, December 22 through January 2.
- Family History Library Catalog: This center can help you order on line any of the microfilm and microfiche available through the Family History Library Catalog, and will store your films at the Center.
- The Center has a considerable number of fiche and microfilm on permanent loan.
- The Center has a library of books and other publications.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions, including:
- The 19th Century British Library Newspapers digital archive–http://find.galegroup.com/bncn/
- Access Newspaper Archives–http://www.newspaperarchive.com/
- Alexander Street Press, American Civil War–http://alexanderstreet.com/
- ArkivDigital Online–http://www.arkivdigital.net/
- Find My Past–http://www.findmypast.co.uk/
- 1911 British Census (accessed through the Find My Past website)
- Fold3 (formerly Footnote.com)–http://www.fold3.com/
- The Genealogist–http://www.thegenealogist.co.uk/
- Heritage Quest Online–http://www.heritagequestonline.com/
- Historic Map Works Library Edition–http://www.proquest.historicmapworks.com/
- Legacy Stories - http://www.legacystories.org/
- Paper Trail–http://www.genealogytoday.com/
- World Vital Records–https://www.worldvitalrecords.com/
- See this link for more information on these collections.
Hardware and Equipment
- The Center has seven computers, thee microfilm readers, a microfiche reader, a microfilm scanner, a document scanner and two printers.
Below is the list of our staff members with notes about special training they have acquired through their years of experience. If you have run into a roadblock in your research and are in need of extra special help, try letting us see what we can do.
|Lloyd Lycan||Skilled in Swedish and Finish Geneology.|
||Clyde Nihipali||Skilled in the use of FamilySearch and has film ordering expertise.|
|Pamela Hunt||Familiar with FamilySearch and Swedish and Finnish research. Available for one-on-one consulting. Handles microfilm shipping and receiving for the Center.|
||Sherry Morgan||Expert in the organization of genealogical records. Well informed on Louisiana genealogy.|
||Diana Yoshioka||Expert in many areas of genealogical research.|
||Betty Morris||Expert in many areas of genealogical research.|
|Darrell Bangerter||Skilled in French language, Tennessee geneology, and computer setup for Family research.|
||Pat Murphy||Experienced in colonial-period research.|
|Marva Johnson||A capable and experienced researcher.|
|Meredith DeBuse||Skilled in American History, the British Isles except Scotland, Latin, Scandanavian languages, Old English and some German.|
|Betty Townsend||Skilled in Spanish language, indexing (extraction) and arbitration for United States and Canada, and strong general computer skills.|
|Tom Higgins||Skilled in reading French language and research in New England, Nova Scotia, Quebec, New France, and France geneology. Director for the Center.|
|Dan Baptist||New to the field, but gaining experience in Oregon public records.|
Resources in the Local Area
- 717 N Grand Blvd., Vancouver, WA 98661
- (360) 750-5688
- 2505 S.E. 11th Ave., Suite B-18, Portland, OR 97202
Davies Family Research Library in Oregon Historical Society Museum
- 1200 SW Park Ave., Portland, OR 97205
3605 NE 15th Ave., Portland, OR, 97212
- 250 Winter St. NE, Salem, OR, 97301
- Point Plaza East, 6880 Capital Blvd., Tumwater, WA 98501
Oregon Vital Records: The Center for Health Statistics and Vital Records
- 800 NE Oregon St., Suite 205, Portland, OR 97232
(973) 673-1180 (General Information)
(973) 673-1190 (Ordering Information)
Washington Vital Records: Washington Department of Health-Center of Health Statistics
- Town Center 1, 101 Israel Rd., Tumwater, WA 98501
Volunteer at the Center
We always welcome a fresh face at our center. Whether you are able to take on a weekly shift in the family history center or are more interested in serving as an occasional substitute, we would love to hear from you. Please email us at VancouverWest@ldsmail.net.