Vermilion County, Illinois GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Vermilion County, Illinois|
Location of Illinois in the U.S.
|Founded:||January 18, 1826|
|Address|| 6 N. Vermilion|
Danville, IL 61832-5879
|Named for: Vermilion River|
|This Illinois-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- 1826--Vermilion County was created 18 January 1826 from unorganized territory and Edgar County.County seat: Danville 
1872 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
Places / Localities
- Benton County, Indiana
- Vermillion County, Indiana
- Warren County, Indiana
The following have information concerning African American research.
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Illinois State Archives pamphlet on African American Research describes what records are at the State Archives with an online method for ordering records.
- African-American Resources for Illinois
Illinois cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Vermilion County and links to the information for the individuals buried there.
- Vermilion Co.IL USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- Illinois Cemeteries by county.
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Vermilion County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Vermilion County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
- Civil War
Civil War service men from Vermilion County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Vermilion County.
- - 51st Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company E.
- - 71st Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company A.
- - 73rd Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Companies C and E.
- - 73rd Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company E.
- - 79th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company A.
Pape Funeral Homes Obiturary Records for Vermilion County, Illinois
Pape Mortuary, 10 E. Williams Street, Danville, Illinois this site has 275.00 records, list of death records from 1800's to the pressent. The records inclued surrounding areas including some near by Indiana counties.
Societies and Libraries
- Family History Library Catalog
- Vermillion County, Illinois Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)