Virginia GazetteersEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 16:45, 29 September 2011 by Murphynw
Several helpful guides to places in Virginia have been published, including:
- 1835: Martin, Joseph. A New and Comprehensive Gazetteer of Virginia, and the District of Columbia. Charlottesville: J. Martin, 1835. (Family History Library book 975 E5m; film 897469.); digital versions at Ancestry ($); Family History Archives.
- 1904: Gannett, Henry. The Gazetteer of Virginia. Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1904. Digital version at Internet Archive.
- 1908: Long, Charles Massie. Virginia County Names: Two Hundred and Seventy Years of Virginia History. New York and Washington: The Neale Publishing Company, 1908. Digital version at Google Books.
- 1969: Hanson, Raus McDill. Virginia Place Names. Verona, Virginia: McClure Press, 1969. (Family History Library book 975.5 E5h.)
- 1971: Topping, Mary, et al. Approved Place Names in Virginia. Charlottesville, Virginia: University Press of Virginia, 1971. (Family History Library book 975.5 E2t; fiche 6051296.) This is not a comprehensive gazetteer, but it lists all place names that have been approved by the U.S. Board on Geographic Names.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback