Wales PeriodicalsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
A periodical is a regularly published magazine, newsletter, or journal. In Britain, periodicals are called journals. Journals are published by family history, local history, religious, one-name (organized to study a specific surname), and national societies. The articles often include:
- Family genealogies and pedigrees.
- Transcripts of church records, migration lists, and cemetery records.
- Suggestions for research procedures.
- Information about local records, archives, and services.
- Book advertisements and book reviews.
- Research advertisements.
- Researchers’ queries or requests for information about their ancestors.
Periodicals useful for Welsh research are:
- Family History News and Digest. Birmingham, England: Federation of Family History Societies, 1975–2006. (Family History Library book 942 B2ff.) This publication reports on the activities of its member societies. Articles published in the member society journals are summarized. A list of publications is included, offering low-priced, well-written booklets on various records.
- Family Tree Magazine. Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, England: Michael Armstrong, 1984–. (Family History Library book 942 D25f.) Features of this journal include informative articles, book reviews, advertisements, a question and answer column, and much more.
- The Local Historian. Chichester, Sussex, England: British Association for Local History, 1970-. (Family History Library book 942 B2ah.) Continued from the previous title of The Amateur Historian. This periodical can help you understand life in England and Wales. It also contains detailed articles on genealogical records.
- National Library of Wales Journal - Cylchgrawn Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru. Aberystwyth, Wales: National Library of Wales,1939–. (Family History Library British book 942.9 B2j.) This periodical has many articles that will help you understand life in Wales.
- The Transactions of the Honourable Society of Cymmrodorion. London, England: The Honourable Society of Cymmrodorion,1892–. (Family History Library book 942.9 C4c.) This publication contains many articles that will help you understand life in Wales. In the 1948 volume, there is a long article on Welsh genealogies.
- Williams, Gareth Haulfryn. Mynegai I’r Cymmrodor a Thrafodion Anrhydeddus Gymdeithas y Cymmrodorion, 1878–1982 (An Index to Y Cymmrodor and the Transactions of the Honourable Society of Cymmrodorion, 1878–1982). N.p., . (Family History Library book 942.9 B22w.)
Nearly every county in Wales has a local history, family history, or antiquarian society that publishes journals. To find journals in the Place Search of the Family History Library Catalog, look under:
- WALES - PERIODICALS
- WALES - ARCHIVES AND LIBRARIES - PERIODICALS
- WALES - GENEALOGY - PERIODICALS
- WALES - HISTORY - PERIODICALS
- WALES - SOCIETIES - PERIODICALS
You may also find journals listed under the same topics for the following localities:
- WALES, [COUNTY]
- ↑ The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Research Outline: Wales (Salt Lake City: Corporation of the President, 2000), 56-57.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News