Wales WebsitesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Some of these sources may have limited Welsh content.
Archives & libraries
- National Library of Wales The home page for the largest historical archive in Wales.
- National Library of Wales ISYSweb Free Text Search This allows for a keyword search of the manuscript collections. Try a search for a parish or farm name. In some cases a brief extract from the manuscript (such as a title deed) is included which may provide names, dates, places, relationships etc..
- Archives Network Wales Descriptions of documents held by record offices, universities and other repositories in Wales.
- National Archives Access to Archives Descriptions of records held at various archives but mainly in England.
- Archon Wales Repositories in Wales.
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission The "Debt of Honour Register" is the Commission's database listing the 1.7 million men and women of the Commonwealth forces who died during the two world wars and the 23,000 cemeteries, memorials and other locations worldwide where they are commemorated.
- War Graves In Britain - The intent of this organization is to create awareness of the local Commonwealth War graves in Great Britain and compile a record of untended war graves. Sparse content.
- Ancestry Commercial genealogy site
- FindMyPast Commercial UK Genealogy Site
- Wales 1861, 1881, and 1891 census indexes at WorldVitalRecords
- Rootsweb General UK genealogy site.
- GenUKI General UK & IRL genealogy information
- FreeCen This project aims to provide a "free-to-view" on-line searchable database of the 19th century census returns for Wales, Scotland & England.
- 1901 Census index of Royal Navy Ships An index of ships that were at sea or in ports on March 31, 1901, the day the 1901 census was taken.
- Jews in Welsh Censuses Searchable databases for Jews living in Wales, England, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
- National Library of Wales
- Catalog for church records through familysearch.org "Search by place name"
- Findmypast.co.uk Commercial Website that has indexed church records
- Indexed Church Records births and baptisms 1541-1907 through familysearch
- Indexed Church Records deaths and burials 1586-1885 through familysearch
- Indexed Church Records Marriages 1541-1900 through familysearch
- England and Wales non-conformist Indexes 1567-1837and later through familysearch
- The official Non-Conformist and Non-Parochial BMD's Service Pay website
- The Genealogist with both church and non-conformist records: Commercial Website
- Particular Baptist Ministers in Baptist Magazine 1811
- Directories - Fasti Ecclesiastae Anglicanae
- Hugh Wallis' IGI Batch Numbers for Wales
- Ancestry.co.uk Commercial website that has indexed church records
- Wales Marriage Bonds Application search 1616-1837 online
- Some Glamorgan Church marriages indexed
- Note that Monmouthshire is incorrectly listed in England on familysearch!
Churches & Chapels
- Accessing Church of England/Wales Church Records see above Church Records
- The Church in Wales
- Chapel Recording Project of Welsh Chapels
- Church Photographs from the north-east
- The Chapels Heritage Society
- The Parish Clerk Index
These online indexes to order certificates are the best and easiest way to obtain a birth, marriage, or death certificate 1 July 1837-present. Just "click" below and see what you can find.
- General Register Office Ordering Certificates
- FreeBMD Civil Registration Indexes to Certificates
- Ancestry Indexes Commercial genealogy site with indexes to certificates
- FindMyPast Indexes Commercial genealogy site with indexes to certificates
- The Genealogist.co.uk Indexes Commercial Genealogical site with indexes to certificates
Certificate Ordering from local Superintendent Registrar
- NorthWalesBMD Indexes and certificates
- Registration Districts in Wales
- Local Registrars in England and Wales, address, phone numbers, websites and e-mail
- Crime and Punishment Database from the Court of Great Sessions gaol files for the years 1730-1830.
- www.genuki.org.uk- Includes links to Wale directories
- www.historicaldirectories.org- Includes free images of directories for Wales.
Emigrant & Immigrant
- EllisIsland, New York
- Immigrant Ships Transcribers Guild
- Brits in South America
- Welsh Mariners Index
Family History Societies
- www.ancestor-search.info/FHS-INDEX.htm- County listing of Welsh Family History Societies.
- www.genuki.org.uk- County listing of Welsh Family History Societies.
- http://clwydfhs.org.uk- Flintshire, Denbigshire, and Merionethshire (includes parish info).
- http://dyfedfhs.org.uk- Cardiganshire, Carmarthenshire, and Pembrokeshire (includes parish info).
- http://rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wlsglfhs/- Glamorgan
- http://rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wlsgfhs/- Monmouthshire and small part of Brecon.
- http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wlspfhs- Montgomeryshire, Radnorshire, and Breconshire.
- http://gwyneddfhs.org- Anglesey, Caernarfonshire, and parts of Denbighshire and Merionethshire.
- http://home.freeuk.net/montgensoc/index.htm- Montgomeryshire
- National Gazetteer of Wales
- Welsh Chapels
- The Parish Clerk Index
- Vision of Britain
- Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Wales
General Welsh Genealogy
- National Library of Wales
- Gathering the Jewels at NLW
- Welsh Family History at BBC Wales
- Vision of Britain
- Genealogy Wales
- 100 Welsh Heroes
- Burke's Peerage
- Cyndi's List of Genealogy Sites on the Internet
- Wales Lookup Exchange,a genealogy help page
- Bartrum's Welsh Pedigrees Dr. P. C. Bartrum's Welsh Pedigrees are being computerized by Aberystwyth University's Department of Welsh
- Stirnet Limited: Families Database: Index (unfettered access requires fee or significant data contribution; manually search index for surnames of interest)
- Royal Regiment of Wales
- British Battles
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Napoleonic War Naval Indexes
- The National Archives Trafalgar ancestors
- War Graves In Britain
Names - Geographical
Names - Personal
- The Cambrian was an English newpaper published from 1804 to 1930. Swansea library has made an index which is searchable online. Visit the Cambrian Index.
- Welsh Journals Online A new project to place many Welsh periodicals online. For a link to a PowerPoint presentation titled Welsh Journals Online: the challenges by Martin Locock, Project Manager, Welsh Journals Online go to http://www.cilip.org.uk/branches/byregion/wales/conference and scroll down to the bottom of the page.
- www.ancestor-search.info/CRO-INDEX.htm- Listings of County Record Offices in Wales.
- www.genuki.org.uk- Listings of County Record Offices in Wales.
- http://www.archivesnetworkwales.info/- Catalog of archives, record offices, and universities.
- www.llgc.org.uk- The National Library of Wales. The main repository for Wales.
- www.llgc.org.uk - Wales Wills pre-1858; indexes and images
- www.ancestry.com- Wales Wills post-1857; indexes
- www.familysearch.org- Online abstracts of Wales wills 1544-1854
- wiki.familysearch.org- > type Principal Probate Registry. Links to microfilm numbers at the Family History Library. Also includes links to a great website to assist in determining the correct FHL film from the District Probate Registries. Films can be ordered online at films.familysearch.org.
- www.nationalarchives.gov.uk- Wills proved in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury.
- thegenealogist.co.uk- Indexes and images to wills proved in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury.