Walton County, Florida GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Walton County Florida genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Walton County, Florida|
Location in the state of Florida
Location of Florida in the U.S.
|Founded||December 29, 1824|
|County Seat||De Funiak Springs|
Walton County's civil records start the following years:
Walton_Hist_Dist_crths01.jpg|thumb|right|350px|Walton County Courthouse ]]
Walton County Courthouse
571 East Nelson Ave
PO Box 1260
De Funiak Springs, FL 32433-0000
CLerk Circuit Court has marriage records from 1885, probate records from 1882, divorce, court and land records, newspaper records from 1905.
County Health Department has birth and death records.
Places / Localities
- Walton County Cemeteries ~ partial list of cemeteries/transcriptions ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Elgin Air Force Base Tombstones ~ photos ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Florida Tombstone Transcription Project - USGenWeb
- Interment.net - Florida cemetery records by County
- Veterans Administration National Cemeteries - Florida National Cemeteries
|Source: "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau.|
For tips on accessing Walton County, Florida Genealogy census records online, see: Florida Census.
- 1783 Spanish Census - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1821 Census/Tax List Index - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1823 Census/Tax List Index - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1880 Census African Born Blacks and Mulattos - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Federal Census Information from National Archives - USGenWeb Archives Project
- State Census Information from Florida State Archives - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Census of Pensioners Revolutionary Military Service - USGenWeb Archives Project
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Florida denominations, view the Florida Church Records wiki page.
Florida Church Listing ~ Church Angel
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Florida Land and Property for additional information about early Florida land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Walton County, Florida Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Florida Local Histories.
- 1902 Medical Directories ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Walton County Biographies ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Family Maps of Walton County, Florida (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- 1870 Gray's Atlas Panhandle Portion of State - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1882 Rand McNally Panhandle Portion of State - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Exploring Florida, FCIT Maps, University of South Florida
- Some Military Land Grants In Walton Co. FL For Soldiers Of The War Of 1812 ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Some Military Land Grants In Walton Co. FL For Soldiers Of The Indian Wars ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Some Military Land Grants In Walton Co. FL For Soldiers Of The Mexican War ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Florida State Military Files - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Pension Transcriptions - Florida state pension records from various wars - USGenWeb Pension Project
- Florida Casualties in the Korean Conflict
- Florida Casualties in the Vietnam War
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Walton County, Florida Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Early Florida Newspapers at the Florida State Library
- Beach Breeze - paper combined with DeFuniak Herald. 17 full-text issues spanning 2005-2008 available via Google Newspaper Archive
Probate records are held by the Walton County, Florida Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Walton County, Florida Genealogy Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Florida Probate Records, 1784-1990. See the wiki page Florida Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Florida Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Florida Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online. See also How to order Florida Vital Records
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Florida.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- The FLGenWeb Project
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Walton County, Florida Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Walton County, FLGenWeb Project, Inc.
- USGenWeb Archives Project
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Walton County, Florida Page 137 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More