Walton on the Hill St Mary, Lancashire

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
m (Text replace - '''A Topographical Dictionary of England''' to '''A Topographical Dictionary of England''')
Line 1: Line 1:
[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire Parishes]]  
+
[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png|RTENOTITLE]] [[Lancashire]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png|RTENOTITLE]] [[Lancashire Parishes]]  
  
 
See a [[List of the Parishes and Chapelries in Walton-on the-Hill]]  
 
See a [[List of the Parishes and Chapelries in Walton-on the-Hill]]  
  
[[Image:Walton_St_Mary_.jpg|thumb|right|Walton St Mary]]
+
[[Image:Walton St Mary .jpg|thumb|right|Walton St Mary]]  
  
 
== Parish History  ==
 
== Parish History  ==
Line 9: Line 9:
 
Walton on the Hill St Mary is an Ancient Parish in the county of Lancashire. Bootle [[Bootle St Mary, Lancashire]]  and Everton  are chapelries of Walton on the Hill St Mary.  
 
Walton on the Hill St Mary is an Ancient Parish in the county of Lancashire. Bootle [[Bootle St Mary, Lancashire]]  and Everton  are chapelries of Walton on the Hill St Mary.  
  
Other places in the parish include: Ainsdale, Edge Hill, Fazakerley, Walton on the Hill Stanley, Stanley, Walton on the Hill Edge Hill, and Raven Meols. <br>  
+
Other places in the parish include: Ainsdale, Edge Hill, Fazakerley, Walton on the Hill Stanley, Stanley, Walton on the Hill Edge Hill, and Raven Meols. <br>
  
 
The town name 'Walton' may have been derived from the same origins as the country name 'Wales'. The Saxons called the earlier inhabitants of Briton (the Celtic Britons) the 'Walas' or 'Wealas'. Thus, Walton may have once been called 'Walas' town. Whatever the origins of the name, Walton is one of the oldest areas of settlement in Merseyside.  
 
The town name 'Walton' may have been derived from the same origins as the country name 'Wales'. The Saxons called the earlier inhabitants of Briton (the Celtic Britons) the 'Walas' or 'Wealas'. Thus, Walton may have once been called 'Walas' town. Whatever the origins of the name, Walton is one of the oldest areas of settlement in Merseyside.  
  
Walton, originally known as Walton-on-the-Hill, is an area of Liverpool, in Merseyside, England, situated to the north of Anfield and the east of Bootle and Orrell Park.<br>  
+
Walton, originally known as Walton-on-the-Hill, is an area of Liverpool, in Merseyside, England, situated to the north of Anfield and the east of Bootle and Orrell Park.<br>
  
St Mary's church and graveyard occupy a site which may have had a Saxon church on it.<br><br>  
+
St Mary's church and graveyard occupy a site which may have had a Saxon church on it.<br><br>
  
WALTON-ON-THE-HILL (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of West Derby, S. division of Lancashire; containing 37,917 inhabitants, of whom 2454 are in Walton township, 3 miles (N. by E.) from Liverpool, on the road to Preston. In the time of Edward the Confessor, Winestan, a Saxon, held Waletone; and soon after the Conquest a family named Waleton or Walton is mentioned as having possessions here. By a charter of the 2nd of John, the king granted all his land in Waleton to Richard de Mida, son of Gilbert de Waleton; and the same family is named in connexion with various legal acts in subsequent reigns. In the reign of Henry IV. the Fazakerleys acquired the third part of Walton, including Spellawe or Spellow House, by marriage with an heiress of the Waltons; this estate was held by the late Colonel Fazakerley, and was sold by his family to the Earl of Derby. In the 15th century, Roger Walton died without male issue, and his two daughters carried their inheritance to their husbands. Margaret, the elder, married William Chorley, of Chorley: after the rebellion of 1715, the estate of the Chorleys, which was one-third of Walton, passed by sale to the Cromptons, who subsequently sold the property. Elizabeth, the younger daughter, conveyed her portion, also a third, with Walton Hall, to Richard Cross, Esq., of Liverpool and Cross Hall. This last family terminated in an heiress who intermarried with the Briers, by whom the estate was sold in 1746 to the Athertons. From the Athertons the property passed by sale to Thomas Leyland, Esq., who died in 1827, and was succeeded by his nephew, R. B. Leyland, Esq. The parish consists of the district parish of West Derby; the chapelries of Everton, Formby, and Kirkby; and the townships of Bootle with Linacre, Fazakerley, Kirkdale, Simonswood, and Walton. The area of the whole is 22,195 acres, and the lands are irrigated by the river Alt and the Rimrose brook, both tributary to the Mersey, which for the most part bounds the parish on the west: much of the soil is arable. In Walton township are 2230 acres. This locality presents an extremely pleasing appearance, and abounds in handsome mansions and villas; from Walton Hill are most extensive views, including the town of Liverpool, the Welsh hills, and the mountains of Cumberland. Among the best houses are Walton Hall, the residence of Richard Naylor, Esq.; Walton Priory, that of Robert Ellison Harvey, Esq.; and several detached mansions on Breeze Hill. On the side of the Ormskirk road is the unique establishment of Charles Whitfield Harvey, Esq., the successful rearer of prize-cattle; and Spellow House, an ancient mansion of stone, is surrounded by a large tract of land, appropriated by Mr. William Skirving to the rearing of foresttrees and nursery-plants in general, including those of the most rare description. The living is a rectory and vicarage, with a net income of £1300; patron, John Shaw Leigh, Esq., of Luton-Hoo, Beds. The church, which, up to 1698, was the mother church of Liverpool, was mostly rebuilt in 1829, at a cost of £5000; and is a noble structure in the early English style, with decorated portions, and a tower and pinnacles. From its great elevation, it is a conspicuous object in the surrounding scenery, and serves as a landmark. The interior is very beautiful, with a stained-wood roof, and east and west windows of painted glass: of the numerous monuments, one, a bust of the late Thomas Leyland, Esq., of Walton Hall, banker, is by Chantrey; another, to the father of the patron, is an elegant figure. The churchyard was enlarged in 1847. A district called Walton Breck, having a population of 1500, has lately been formed, of which the living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of William Brown, Esq., M.P.; net income, £250. The church, built in 1847, and dedicated to the Holy Trinity, is a cruciform structure in the early English style, with a tower surmounted by a graceful spire; and cost £5000. The interior is very neat, and is enriched by a beautiful eastern window of painted glass, executed by Messrs. Ballantine and Allan, of Edinburgh, and presented to the church by William Tyrer, Esq., of Breck-road, Everton; it is emblematical of the Trinity. Other churches are described in the several articles on the townships and on the district parish of West Derby. The day and Sunday schools in the parish are very numerous: in Walton is a school endowed with £43 per annum, and a house; also a girls' and infants' school, for which a house was built in 1847.  
+
WALTON-ON-THE-HILL St Mary, '''''a parish''''', in the union and hundred of West Derby, S. division of Lancashire, 3 miles north by east&nbsp;of Liverpool. The parish consists of the district parish of West Derby; the chapelries of Everton, Formby, and Kirkby; and the townships of Bootle with Linacre, Fazakerley, Kirkdale, Simonswood, and Walton.&nbsp;The church, which, up to 1698, was the mother church of Liverpool, was mostly rebuilt in 1829 and has&nbsp;a churchyard was enlarged in 1847.  
  
From: ''[[A Topographical Dictionary of England]]'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 453-457. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51374 Date accessed: 03 August 2010.
+
A district chapel called Walton Breck was&nbsp;formed 1847, and dedicated to the Holy Trinity.
 +
 
 +
''[[A Topographical Dictionary of England]]'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 453-457.&nbsp;Adapted. Date accessed: 03 August 2010.  
  
 
== Resources  ==
 
== Resources  ==
Line 27: Line 29:
 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is [http://freebmd.org.uk/ FreeBMD].  
 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is [http://freebmd.org.uk/ FreeBMD].  
  
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths [[Lancashire BMD]]<br>  
+
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths [[Lancashire BMD]]<br>
  
 
==== Lancashire Online Parish Clerks  ====
 
==== Lancashire Online Parish Clerks  ====
  
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/<br>  
+
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/<br>
  
<br>  
+
<br>
  
 
==== Church records  ====
 
==== Church records  ====
Line 41: Line 43:
 
==== Census records  ====
 
==== Census records  ====
  
{{Expand section|any unique information, such as ''the census for X year was destroyed''}}
+
{{Expand section|any unique information, such as ''the census for X year was destroyed''}}  
  
 
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census  
 
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census  
  
==== Poor Law Unions<br> ====
+
==== Poor Law Unions<br> ====
  
 
[[West Derby, Lancashire Poor Law Union]]  
 
[[West Derby, Lancashire Poor Law Union]]  
  
==== Probate records<br> ====
+
==== Probate records<br> ====
  
 
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to [[Lancashire Probate Records|Lancashire Probate Records]] to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.  
 
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to [[Lancashire Probate Records|Lancashire Probate Records]] to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.  
  
== Maps and Gazetteers<br> ==
+
== Maps and Gazetteers<br> ==
  
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.<br>  
+
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.<br>
  
 
*[http://maps.familysearch.org/ England Jurisdictions 1851]  
 
*[http://maps.familysearch.org/ England Jurisdictions 1851]  
Line 64: Line 66:
 
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.  
 
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.  
  
<br>  
+
<br>
  
 
[[Category:Lancashire]]
 
[[Category:Lancashire]]

Revision as of 19:09, 19 March 2012

England RTENOTITLE Lancashire RTENOTITLE Lancashire Parishes

See a List of the Parishes and Chapelries in Walton-on the-Hill

Walton St Mary

Contents

Parish History

Walton on the Hill St Mary is an Ancient Parish in the county of Lancashire. Bootle Bootle St Mary, Lancashire  and Everton  are chapelries of Walton on the Hill St Mary.

Other places in the parish include: Ainsdale, Edge Hill, Fazakerley, Walton on the Hill Stanley, Stanley, Walton on the Hill Edge Hill, and Raven Meols.

The town name 'Walton' may have been derived from the same origins as the country name 'Wales'. The Saxons called the earlier inhabitants of Briton (the Celtic Britons) the 'Walas' or 'Wealas'. Thus, Walton may have once been called 'Walas' town. Whatever the origins of the name, Walton is one of the oldest areas of settlement in Merseyside.

Walton, originally known as Walton-on-the-Hill, is an area of Liverpool, in Merseyside, England, situated to the north of Anfield and the east of Bootle and Orrell Park.

St Mary's church and graveyard occupy a site which may have had a Saxon church on it.

WALTON-ON-THE-HILL St Mary, a parish, in the union and hundred of West Derby, S. division of Lancashire, 3 miles north by east of Liverpool. The parish consists of the district parish of West Derby; the chapelries of Everton, Formby, and Kirkby; and the townships of Bootle with Linacre, Fazakerley, Kirkdale, Simonswood, and Walton. The church, which, up to 1698, was the mother church of Liverpool, was mostly rebuilt in 1829 and has a churchyard was enlarged in 1847.

A district chapel called Walton Breck was formed 1847, and dedicated to the Holy Trinity.

A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 453-457. Adapted. Date accessed: 03 August 2010.

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD

Lancashire Online Parish Clerks

An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/


Church records

Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Census records

http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census

Poor Law Unions

West Derby, Lancashire Poor Law Union

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.