Warren County, Iowa
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Line 91:||Line 91:|
==== Military ====
==== Military ====
*Civil War Soldiers Enlistment Records (1861-1864)
*Civil War Soldiers Enlistment Records(1861-1864)
==== Newspapers ====
==== Newspapers ====
Revision as of 16:53, 12 September 2013
Guide to Warren County Iowa genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Warren County, Iowa|
Location in the state of Iowa
Location of Iowa in the U.S.
|Founded||January 13, 1846|
Warren County Website
1846--Warren County was created 13 January 1846 from unorganized territory. It was attached to Mahaska County prior to organization 10 February 1849. County seat: Indianola 
- 1856 Warren County Census missing (?)
- Warren County Cemeteries list as found in Cemetery and Death Records of Warren County, Iowa by the Warren County Genealogical Society, 1980
- Warren County gravestones Iowa gravestone project
- 1850 Warren County, Iowa
- 1853 Warren County, Iowa State Census
- 1860 Warren County, Iowa link to index pages and transcriptions
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Iowa Church Records.
- Records of the St. Paul Lutheran Church, Martensdale, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
- Fold3.com ($) has Des Moines City Directories 1881-1913 (2 yrs. missing) and miscellaneous years going back to 1866 available online.
- 1875 Patrons of the Iowa State Atlas (Warren County)
- 1875 Warren County Business Directory
- 1879 City Directories for Warren County link to index of City's indexed and mapped
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Iowa Land and Property for additional information about early Iowa land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Warren County, Iowa. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Iowa Local Histories.
- History of Warren County, Iowa (Des Moines: Union Historical Company, 1879) Bioindex, all 644 bios online
- History of Warren County, Iowa...to 1908, by Rev. W. C. Martin. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1908. - index, 27 bios online
- Civil War Soldiers Enlistment Records (1861-1864)
- Altoona Public Library Archives, Polk County (1876-2000)
- Johnston Historical Society Archive, Polk County (1970-2007)
- NewspaperArchive.com ($) has historical newspapers online including Des Moines newspapers. This database is free at some libraries.
In most counties in Iowa, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The Family History Library Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Iowa - Warren - Probate records.
Iowa tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. Tax lists were usually made every year, however, there may be gaps of several years. For more information, see the wiki page Iowa Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Iowa Department of Public Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Family History Library Catalog
- Iowa Genweb: Warren County
- Rootsweb: Warren County message board
- Warren County, Iowa Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).