Warren County, Virginia GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Warren County, Virginia|
Location in the state of Virginia
Location of Virginia in the U.S.
|Founded||March 9, 1836|
|County Seat||Front Royal|
Virginia county in the Shenandoah Valley region.
1 East Main Street
Front Royal, VA 22630 Template:RAOGKcourthouse
- Lost census: 1890
- Good, Rebecca H. and Rebecca A. Ebert. Finding Your People in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia: A Genealogical Guide. Bowie, Md.: Heritage Books, 1998. 4th ed. FHL Book 975 D27e 1998
- Tombstone Transcription Project Warren County - cemetery transcriptions - USGenWeb
For tips on accessing Warren County, Virginia Genealogy census records online, see: Virginia Census.
1890 Union Veterans
- Turner, Ronald Ray. Virginia's Union Veterans: Eleventh Census of the United States 1890. Available online, courtesy: Prince William County Virginia website. [Includes residents of Warren County.]
Several genealogies have been published about Warren County families. To view a list, visit Warren County, Virginia Genealogy.
- Cartmell, T. K. Shenandoah Valley Pioneers and Their Descendants: A History of Frederick County, Virginia (Illustrated) from Its Formation in 1738 to 1908, Compiled Mainly from Original Records of Old Frederick County, Now Hampshire, Berkeley, Shenandoah, Jefferson, Hardy, Clarke, Warren, Morgan and Frederick. n.p.: n.p., c1909. Available at FHL US/CAN Book 975.59 H2c 1963; FHL US/CAN Film 1000634 Item 1; digital version at Ancestry ($); BYU Family History Archives and World Vital Records ($). [3 copies at FHL.]
- Massanutten Area Atlas. Original records, Shenandoah County Archives, Woodstock, Va. Microfilmed reproduction available at FHL. [This is a bound book of hand drawn maps showing property boundaries for grant map, ca. 1748-1915. It covers parts of Shenandoah, Warren and Page counties.]
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital version at Google Books. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Virginia, Western District, Warren County on page 136.]
- Rejected or Suspended Applications for Revolutionary War Pensions. Washington, D.C., 1852. Reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1969, and 1991. Reprints include "an Added Index to States." FHL Collection 973 M24ur; digital version at Ancestry ($). [Includes veterans from this county; Virginia section begins on page 238.]
War of 1812
- List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883; Giving the Name of Each Pensioner, the Cause for Why Pensioned, the Post-Office Address, the Rate of Pension Per Month, and the Date of Original Allowance... Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1883. FHL Collection 973 M2Lp v. 5; digital versions at Google Books and Internet Archive. [See Vol. 5, Virginia, Warren County, p. 106. Identifies War of 1812 veterans living in this county in 1883.]
Indexes to Warren County, Virginia Genealogy births, marriages, and deaths are available online. These collections are incomplete, but are easy to search. Most records can also be ordered electronically online as well. Courtesy: FamilySearch - free. See also How to order Virginia Vital Records
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Warren Co., VAGenWeb. Part of the USGenWeb Project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Cyndi's List
- ↑ "List of counties in Tennessee," Wikipedia.
- ↑ "List of counties in Virginia," Wikipedia.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).