Warwick County, Virginia GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Has anyone studied my Warwick County, Virginia Genealogy before?
More than 50 family history books and articles have been published about Warwick County's families.
- Main article: Warwick, Virginia
Warwick County, Virginia Genealogy General Resources
Warwick County, Virginia Surnames (courtesy: Linkpendium) contains links to more than 50 online resources about this county's families, including compiled genealogies.
A great place to start searches for Warwick County's earliest settlers is:
- McCartney, Martha W. Virginia Immigrants and Adventurers 1607-1635: A Biographical Dictionary. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Pub. Co., 2007. FHL Collection; publisher's bookstore: Genealogical Publishing Company.
Studies that treat multiple Warwick County families include:
- Heinegg, Paul. Free African Americans of Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Maryland and Delaware. 2005-present. - free online book. Ashby, Banks, Cuttillo, Francis, Gowen, Howell, Johns, Peters, Pickett, Spruce, Wallace, Williams, Wood, Wooten families of pre-1820 Warwick County, Virginia.
- Stauffer, William Tilden. "The Old Farms Out of which the City of Newport News was Erected, with Some Account of the Families which Dwelt Thereon," The William and Mary Quarterly, Series 2, Vol. 14 (1934):203-215; Vol. 14, No. 4 (1934):333-341; Vol. 15, No. 2 (Apr. 1935):126-137, Vol. 15, No. 3 (Jul. 1935):250-266. Digital versions at JSTOR ($).
Warwick County, Virginia Genealogy Books and Articles
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Armistead] Appleton, William S. The Family of Armistead of Virginia. Boston: W.S. Appleton, 1899. Digital versions at FamilySearch Books Online - free; Internet Archive - free; FHL Book 929.273 A1 no. 1021.
- [Armistead] Wiatt, Alexander Lloyd. The Descendants of Stephen Field of King and Queen County, Virginia, 1721: With Notes on the Armistead, Booth, Catesby-Cocke, Catlett, Jones, Lightfoot, Smith, Tabb, Todd and Wiatt Families. n.p.: A. Wiatt, 1992. FHL Book 929.273 F458w.
- [Averett] Averett, Charles Ray and Maurine Averett Moser. Progenitors of the Averett-Gill, Willis-Witt, DeGraw-Dutton, Hampton- Maxwell, Bracken families: and the Descendants of James Lafayette Averett and Laura Anis Maxwell. n.p.: C.R. Averett, 1990. FHL Collection
- [Baldrup] Slade, Kenneth K. Notes Concerning "Baldrup," "Balthrope," and "Boldrup," Warwick County, Va., and the Cole Family Cemetery. 1958, 1988. Available at Virginia Historical Society.
- [Bullock] "Bullock of Warwick County, Pedigree Chart," Virginia Folder Collection at Virginia Pioneers ($).
- [Camm] Tyler, Lyon G. "Descendants of John Camm, President of William and Mary College," The William and Mary Quarterly, Vol. 4, No. 1 (Jul. 1895):61-62; Vol. 4, No. 4 (Apr. 1896):275-278. Digital version at JSTOR - free.
- [Cary] Cary Family, The Critic (Richmond, Va.), April 26, May 10 and 24, 1890.
- [Cary] Page, Richard Channing Moore. Genealogy of the Page Family in Virginia. Also a Condensed Account of the Nelson, Walker, Pendleton and Randolph Families, With References to the Bland, Burwell, Byrd, Carter, Cary, Duke, Gilmer, Harrison, Rives, Thornton, Wellford, Washington, and Other Distinguished Families in Virginia. New York: Press of the Publishers' Printing Co., 1893. FHL Collection; digital version at Google Books - free.
- [Cary] Tyler, Lyon G. "Sheild Family," The William and Mary Quarterly, Vol. 3, No. 4 (Apr. 1895):268-271; Vol. 4, No. 1 (Jul. 1895):59; Vol. 5, No. 1 (Jul. 1896):22-24. Digitized by JSTOR - free.
- [Cary] Cary, Wilson Miles. "The Dandridges of Virginia," The William and Mary Quarterly, Vol. 5, No. 1 (Jul. 1896):30-39. Digital version at JSTOR - free.
- [Cary] Tyler, Lyon G. "Smiths of Virginia," The William and Mary Quarterly, Vol. 5, No. 1 (Jul. 1896):50-53. Digital version at JSTOR - free.
- [Cary] Pecquet du Bellet, Louise. Some Prominent Virginia Families. 4 vols. 1907. Reprint, Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing, 1976. FHL Film 1036136 see also FHL Collection. Index: FHL Book 975.5 D2p index. Digital versions available online: Vol. 2 | Vol. 4 | Index. All four volumes have been digitized by Ancestry ($).
- [Cary] Harrison, Fairfax. The Virginia Carys. New York: De Vinne Press, 1919. Digital version at Internet Archive - free; FHL Film 1011836 Item 3.
- [Cary] Harrison, Fairfax. The Devon Carys, 2 vols. New York: De Vinne Press, 1920. Digital version at Internet Archive - free; FHL Collection.
- [Cary] Cary, Boyd B. Senior Line of Virginia Carys. Typescript, 1956. FHL Film 1463960 Item 5
- [Cary] Carey, Virginia Miller. Carey Highlights. Prichard, West Virginia: V.M. Carey, 1983. FHL Collection
- [Cary] Wynne, Humphrey Harwood and Myles Johnson. H.H. Wynne Notebook - Transcription. Washington, D.C.: Myles Johnson, 199-?. FHL Collection 929.273 A1 no. 8044
- [Chappell] Gray, Beulah B. The Chappell Family. Typescript. FHL Collection
- [Cole] Cole, Robert F. The Capt. A. B. Cole Genealogy. Miami, Florida: Cole, 1964. FHL Collection
- [Cole] Goodson, David Spencer. A Goodman Family with Some Related Families. [La Grange, Ga.: D.S. Goodson?, 2000?]. FHL Collection
- [Cosby] Carpenter, John S. Cosby Genealogy. Typescript, 1860. FHL Collection 1036699 Item 16
- [Dale] Alexander, Lucille Dillinger. Sullivan County, Missouri Descendants of the Dale Family of Kentucky and Virginia: and Their Ancestor Families: Phillips, Southern, Goad, Simmonds, Tobias and Williams. Wayne, N.J.: L.D. Alexander, c1989. FHL Film 1320946 Item 2.
- [Daniell] Ray, Worth S. Ancestry and Probable Origin of the Daniell Family of York County, Virginia. MSS., 1955, reproduction: FHL Collection.
- [Dudley] Tyler, Lyon G. "Sheild Family," The William and Mary Quarterly, Vol. 3, No. 4 (Apr. 1895):268-271; Vol. 4, No. 1 (Jul. 1895):59; Vol. 5, No. 1 (Jul. 1896):22-24. Digitized by JSTOR - free.
- [Dudley] Hansford, Thelma Ironmonger. James Dudley, Son of William and Rebecca Dudley. Seaford, Va.: T.I. Hansford, 1965. FHL Collection
- [Duncan] Dobson, Mary Ann Duncan. Duncan Research Files of Mary Ann (Duncan) Dobson. MSS. 1975-1999. FHL Film 795593 Item 2 Includes Warwick County Duncans.
- [George] Shockey, Amanda Rudder Taylor. Our George Family. [Camden, Ohio]: A.R.T. Shockey, 1991. FHL Collection
- [Glascock] Glassco, Lawrence A. The Glas(s)cocks of England and America: Glas(s)cocks of England Prior to 1643 and of America After 1643 ... [Alexandria, Virginia]: L.A. Glassco, 1984. FHL Collection
- [Harlow] Harlow, Michael G. The Harlow Family in Virginia. n.p.:n.p., n.d. FHL Collection 929.273 H225hm
- [Harwood] Farley, C.A. Three Hundred Fifty Years of Harwoods, 1620-1970. Lubbock, Tex.: C.A. Farley, 1970. FHL Collection
- [Haynes] Boddie, John B. Virginia Historical Genealogies. Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Company, 1965. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
- [Hoggard] Walter, Alice Granbery. The Hoggards of Poplar Hall, 1654-1987, and in Warwick & Princess Anne Counties, Virginia. Virginia Beach, Virginia: A.G. Walter, 1988. FHL Collection
- [Hughes] Adams, Cary Young. "Maria Hughes of Warwick County," Virginia Tidewater Genealogy, Vol. 33, No. 1 (Mar. 2002):8-10.
- [Jones] Ridgell, J.M. Letter, 1967 16 October, Williamsburg, Virginia, to Mrs. Charles R. Jones, San Pierre, Indiana. MSS., North Judson Public Library, North Judson, Ind.; reproduction: FHL Collection
- [Jones] Dunn, R. Richard. The Matthew Jones House and a Colonial History of the Matthew Jones Family. Williamsburg, Va.: RD Editions, . Available at Virginia Historical Society.
- [Lee] Genealogical Notes Concerning the Lee Family of Warwick County, Va. 1969. Available at Virginia Historical Society.
- [Lee] Adams, Cary Young. Genealogical Notes on the Lee Family of York and Warwick counties, Va. 2003. Available at Virginia Historical Society.
- [Mallicote] Walter, Alice Granbery. Mallicote Family of Warwick County, Virginia. Virginia Beach, Va.: A.G. Walter, [1983?]. FHL Collection
- [Matthews] Thurtle, Robert Glenn, ed. Register. Hereditary Order of Descendants of Colonial Governors. Ann Arbor, Mich., 1980. 2002 reprint: FHL Book 973 D2th.
- [Oates] Oates, John Martin. Roots, Seeds, and Other Things. 2 vols. [North Carolina?]: J.M. Oates, 1989, 1993. FHL Collection
- [Presson] Crandol, Robert H. Genealogy of Robert H. Crandol: Includes Crandol, Butler, Tignor, Ironmonger, Butler [and] Wright of Chesterfield Co., Presson of York Co., Warwick Co. and Richmond Co., Virginia. MSS., 1990, reproduction: FHL Collection
- [Randolph] Eckenrode, H.J. The Randolphs: The Story of a Virginia Family. Indianapolis, Ind.: Bobbs-Merrill, 1946. FHL Film 1011835 Item 6.
- [Ransha] Walter, Alice Granbery. Ramshaw/Ransha/Rainshaw Family of Warwick County, Virginia with Hoggard & Thurmer Connection. Virginia Beach, Virginia: A.G. Walter, [1983?]. FHL Collection
- [Reynolds] Rhoads, Helen W. The Christopher Reynolds Family. Green Valley, Ariz.: H. W. Rhoads, 1981. FHL Collection
- [Smith] Tyler, Lyon G. "The Smiths of Virginia," The William and Mary Quarterly, Vol. 4, No. 1 (Jul. 1895):46-52. Digital version at JSTOR - free.
- [Smith] Lineage of Mrs. Euphenia Aylett (Cofer) Gwathmey. MSS., reproduction: FHL Collection
- [Stokes] Stokes, J. Lemacks. The Book of Stokes, 1201-1915. n.p.: P.B. Stokes, 1982. FHL Collection
- [Thurmer] Walter, Alice Granbery. The Search for the Ancestors of Robert Thurmer of Elizabeth City & York Counties, Virginia. [Virginia Beach, Va.: A.G. Walter, 1980?]. FHL Collection
- [Wells] See Wills.
- [Whitaker] Whitaker, James Allen. The Family of Richard Mark Whitaker of Gold Rock, N.C.: Remembrances. Rocky Mount, N.C.: J.A. Whitaker, 1993?. FHL Collection 2055187 Item 32
- [Wills] Lassiter, Charles A. The Wells Family History, Calloway County, Kentucky. Cary, North Carolina: [C.A. Lassiter], 1993. FHL Collection; digital version at Family History Archives.
- [Winn] See Wynne.
- [Wooton] Wooton, Richard C. The Woottens of York County, Virginia. Arlington, Virginia: Wooten and Related Families Association, 1984. FHL Collection
- [Wooton] Wooten, R.K. Wooten Pedigree Chart and Information Sheet. Little Rock, Ark.: n.p., 198-?. FHL CollectionUS/CAN Pedigree File, PEDIGREE no. 1980
- [Wynne] Crawford, Thomas M. Genealogical Papers, ca. 844-1962. Typescript. FHL Collection 1307502 Item 24
- [Wynne] Johnson, Myles. The Wynne Family of York, Warwick & James City Counties, Virginia. Washington, D.C.: M. Johnson, 1985. FHL Collection 929.273 W992j
- [Wynne] Johnson, Myles. Wynne History Supplement: Corrections and Additions to The Wynne family of York, Warwick, and James City Counties, Virginia. Washington, D.C.: M. Johnson, [198-?]. FHL Collection
- [Wynne] Boelt, Frederick Wills. "The Mysterious Richard Wynne: Further Developments," Wynne News: A Newsletter of the John Wynne Society, No. 50 (Winter 2009):3-5.
- [Young] Adams, Cary Young. Genealogical Notes Concerning the Young Family of Denbigh, Warwick County, Va. Donated 1991. Available at Virginia Historical Society.