From FamilySearch Wiki
(Difference between revisions)
Revision as of 22:14, 24 January 2010
United States > Washington
Welcome to Washington, The Evergreen State
Extinct or Renamed Counties: Chehalis
Did You Know?
- Washington is a public land state. The area that now comprises the state was part of the public domain and was administered by the federal government through local land offices under the direction of the General Land Office (GLO), later known as the Bureau of Land Management (BLM). The first land office in Washington was established at Olympia in 1855.
- In the early 1800s, traders and trappers came from Canada, Russia, Latin America, and the United States into what is now Oregon and Washington.
- In 1811 The American Fur Company, owned by John Jacob Astor, an American, established the first white settlement at Astoria, Oregon.
- Most early settlements of the 1830s and 1840s were in the Willamette Valley.
- In 1843 more than 900 emigrants came to Washington Territory from Arkansas, Illinois, Iowa, and Missouri.
- Washington Territory was created February 8, 1853 from northern part of Oregon Territory north of the Columbia River in the west, and north of the 46th parallel east of the Columbia River.
Things You Can Do
In order to make this wiki a better research tool, we need your help! Many tasks need to be done. You can help by: