Washington County, Illinois GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Washington County, Illinois|
Location of Illinois in the U.S.
|Founded:||January 2, 1818|
|Address|| 101 E. St. Louis Street|
Nashville, IL 62263
|Named for: George Washington|
|This Illinois-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
Washington County Information
|Beginning Dates for Washington County Records|
- 1818--Washington County was created 2 January 1818 from St. Clair County. County seat: Nashville 
Places / Localities
To see a list of places in Washington County, click on [Show], in the bar above. The preceding list of places includes incorporated cities and towns, unincorporated towns and communities, and place names that may have been used in family histories. Some have well-organized records and even have web sites. Some are simply social communities with no official records, but which may be referenced in small-town newspapers. The list is provided to help researchers identify localities within the county. As records or histories of these localities are identified, a page will be added for each of these place names.
The following have information concerning African American research.
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Illinois State Archives pamphlet on African American Research describes what records are at the State Archives with an online method for ordering records.
- African-American Resources for Illinois
The Illinois Cemeteries page provides general explanations of the following online Washington County resources:
|Bibliography||Online Gravestone Transcriptions||Cemetery Gazetteers|
|FHLC||Find A Grave | national search | county list||ePodunk|
|WorldCat||USGenWeb Tombstone Transcription Project|
|IL Counties 1900-1990|
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census. Washington, D.C., 1841. FHL 973 X2pc 1840; FHL 2321; digital version at Google Books. [See Illinois, Washington County on page 188.]
FamilySearch has made parish records from six Belleville Diocese Catholic churches in Washington County available online. The records include first communions, confirmations, marriages, and deaths:
- Church Records of Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish, Posen, Washington County, Illinois 1901-1956, browsable online (no index); courtesy: FamilySearch.
- Church Records of St. Ann Parish, Nashville, Washington County, Illinois 1898-1956, browsable online (no index); courtesy: FamilySearch.
- Church Records of St. Anthony Parish, Lively Grove, Washington County, Illinois 1868-1956, browsable online (no index); courtesy: FamilySearch.
- Church Records of St. Barbara Parish, Okawville, Washington County, Illinois 1867-1955, browsable online (no index); courtesy: FamilySearch.
- Church Records of St. Charles Borromeo Parish, Beckemeyer, Washington County, Illinois 1868-1956, browsable online (no index); courtesy: FamilySearch.
- Church Records of St. Michael Parish, Radom, Washington County, Illinois 1874-1956, browsable online (no index); courtesy: FamilySearch.
- Civil War
Civil War service men from Washington County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Washington County.
- - 44th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company F.
- - 60th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company C.
- - 62nd Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company B.
- 1853-1858 Probate Administrator's and Guardian's Record - IRAD-EIU Search for Washington records. How to use IRAD
- 1863-1964 Probate Administrator's Record - IRAD-EIU Search for Washington records. How to use IRAD
- 1862-1905 Probate Executor's Record - IRAD-EIU Search for Washington records. How to use IRAD
- 1856-1930 Probate Guardian's Record - IRAD-EIU Search for Washington records. How to use IRAD
- 1818-1979 Probate Record - IRAD-EIU Search for Washington records. How to use IRAD
- 1879-1905 Probate Will Record - IRAD-EIU Search for Washington records. How to use IRAD
An unspecified number of Washington County probate records are available in Illinois, Probate Records, 1819-1970.
- Genealogy Trails offers a variety of birth records from the 1860s, 1870s, 1880s, and 1890s.
- Genealogy Trails' site includes abstracts of marriage books A to E (1831-1921)
- 1831-1858 Marriage records FHL Book 977.388 V2b
- To-1850 Illinois Marriages to 1850 at Ancestry–($);Index, INCOMPLETE
- 1851-1900 Illinois Marriages, 1851-1900 at Ancestry–($);Index, INCOMPLETE
- 1790-1860 Illinois Marriages, 1790-1860 at Ancestry–($);Index, INCOMPLETE
- Illinois Statewide Marriage Index
Societies and Libraries
| Genealogical Society of Southern Illinois
John A. Logan College Library
700 Logan College Road
Carterville, Illinois 62918
Telephone: 618-985-2828, Ext. 8338
Hours: vary by season, see website
|The Society focuses on Alexander, Clay, Clinton, Edwards, Franklin, Gallatin, Hamilton, Hardin, Jackson, Jefferson, Johnson, Lawrence, Marion, Massac, Monroe, Perry, Pope, Pulaski, Randolph, Richland, Saline, St. Clair, Union, Wabash, Washington, Wayne, White, and Williamson counties. The Society's book and microfilm collection is housed at the John A. Logan College Library. The Society publishes a newsletter (click here for recent issues) and a quarterly journal The Saga of Southern Illinois (click here for a topical index that breaks down what has been published county-by-county).|
- Washington County, Illinois (Genealogy Trails) Biographies, Birth Records, Cemeteries, Censuses, many Church Records, Criminals, Death Records, Divorces, Genealogies, Maps, Marriages, Military Records, Mortality Schedule (1850), Naturalizations, Newspapers, Obituaries, Queries, School Records, Wills
- Washington County, Illinois (USGenWeb Archives) Biographies, Births, Cemeteries, Census, Court, Deaths, History, Marriages, Military, Obituaries, Wills/Estate
- Family History Library Catalog
- Washington County, Illinois Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).